Transaxle Fluid Leak

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
OldFogey
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Transaxle Fluid Leak

Post by OldFogey »

Ive got a transaxle fluid leak. I changed the gear oil out of it last month and mixed 50/50 with ATF for easier shifting and winter conditions. I notice it leaks now from where the axles (joint shaft?) go into the transmission housing. Anybody had any experience with this? Trans shifts fine, dont wanna swap it out if I can get to a rubber seal or something simple?
94 MX3 1.6 5spd, 09 Eclipse 2.4 auto
Mi|<E

Re: Transaxle Fluid Leak

Post by Mi|<E »

Usually means you overfilled it if its leaking from the axle seals
OldFogey

Post by OldFogey »

Son of a gun. When I filled it, around 2.8 qts, the crazy noise from within stopped. Now that it's leaked out some, the noise has started again!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The difference between ATF and the old gear oil could be letting it leak. I found that when I changed my fluid too.

The axle seals are like $10 each. But you have to pull the axles, which is a b----.

Have you properly checked the fluid level? there is a fill hole on the front of the transmission, it should be up to that level.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
OldFogey

Post by OldFogey »

Thanks! Yeah I didn't think of the difference between the two fluids, but I guess that could be a huge factor. I haven't checked the level lately, but I'd say at least a half quart has leaked out over a period of a couple weeks. I hate to go back to the gear oil because of cold shift, but think I will try that first before the seals. I've got a new problem now...may not get to drive her for awhile. :cry:
Jazzylay20

Post by Jazzylay20 »

I have a similar issue. I replaced the clutch and filled the transmission with the 75-80 or it was 75-90 oil and it ran nice the first week till i started noticing oild on the ground. a couple days later the shifting got a little harder. Do you think i should replace the seals or do you think its something else? its leaking at the seals.
Jazzylay20

Post by Jazzylay20 »

Also if i replace the seals what do i get? What seal do i need for my 5spd? Is it the CV axel seal or is it a Transaxle manual oil seal-output shaft/input shaft seals?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't know what your parts store calls it, but it wouldn't be called an input shaft.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You both need new CV Axle seals. I have nicked one installing an axle and it pissed fluid for a week until I replaced it. They are still available from Mazda or Ford
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I would change the seals to be safe. ATX is very thin and I would think that the mixture would cause it to be leaking some. The proper way to check the trans fluid level is off of the Spedo gear in the back of the trans. you should have fluid about half way up the gear when you pull it out, if i remember correctly. If you do not want to run gear oil then go to a full synthetic. I only run 75-90W redline in my gearboxes any more. stuff is great.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

When replacing the axle seals, I use a chunk of the old CV. Take the seal and mount it to the CV shaft here:
Make sure the seal "lip" goes into the shaft where it's supposed to. Remove the circlip from the broken CV shaft so it won't lock into the transmission. A touch of grease on the transmission where the seal goes, and of course on the outside of the seal. Line the CV shaft/axle seal up into the transmission as if you were just goin to install it and push until it stops, put a block of wood over the back of the CV shaft and give it a few good taps. This should seat the seal into the transmission without damaging it. Pull the portion of CV shaft out and check your work. If it's not quite in there all the way, try it again. BUT make sure you seat the lip into the shaft otherwise you'll damage it causing leaks.

Also when you're putting the replacement shaft back into the transmission, make sure the lip is seated properly.
PROTIP: When trying to get the circlip all the way into the transmission, a tiny dot of clean axle grease will keep it from falling out of place.

According to rockauto it's called
1992 MAZDA MX-3 1.6L L4 SOHC : Transmission-Manual : Drive Axle Seal
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”