Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: Got $5,000 in scholarships!!

Post by RobMinhas »

Alright here, I got an update :)
I found a place called AB auto to do my remote start and power lock for 280 dollars. I'm dropping it off to get it done on friday.

I've also been giving a lot of though to the idea of coil overs. I don't know if I want to lower my car or not, when my 17's are one they fill the wheel wells up nicely and I ilke the look. However when the winters are on the car looks like its rocking a 4x4 status, something I don't like. I am considering smaller rims or low profile 17s plus coil overs. I'm thinking I want around a 1 inch drop. My only problem is it seems like the only coil overs I can find are quite pricey. I understand that coil overs do tend to be expensive but I don't want to drop too much money into them. My budget at this point would be 500$, is this a reasonable item for that budget? I mean other then getting lucky at wreckers or part out cars.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:Alright here, I got an update :)
I found a place called AB auto to do my remote start and power lock for 280 dollars. I'm dropping it off to get it done on friday.

I've also been giving a lot of though to the idea of coil overs. I don't know if I want to lower my car or not, when my 17's are one they fill the wheel wells up nicely and I ilke the look. However when the winters are on the car looks like its rocking a 4x4 status, something I don't like. I am considering smaller rims or low profile 17s plus coil overs. I'm thinking I want around a 1 inch drop. My only problem is it seems like the only coil overs I can find are quite pricey. I understand that coil overs do tend to be expensive but I don't want to drop too much money into them. My budget at this point would be 500$, is this a reasonable item for that budget? I mean other then getting lucky at wreckers or part out cars.
Good to hear you found a place to do your remote starter, hopefully that price includes the door lock actuators you need too so you don't get any unexpected fees.

also the fact that your different wheels are such different sizes makes me have to ask that you do know that different size wheels will change what your speedo tells you right?
the stock size for the RS is 185/65/R14 (X6.0 ET-45) so here's a link to a calculator you can use so you know what speed your really going. http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp.

not sure why you have the whole coilover thing stuck in your head cause coilovers aren't the only thing that lowers the car, you can just get lowering springs to lower the car but since i know your struts are shot and your mounts are in rough condition what you'd want to do is buy a new set of struts, springs, mounts, etc. $500 is a pretty good budget for that.

here's what each one looks like
Struts, Coilovers.
ImageImage

If you really want i can take you for a ride in my MX-3 so you know what a lowered car with new struts feels like, it might help you decide weather you want to lower at all or stay stock height
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I made sure to find out about the price so I wouldn't be hit with unexpected fees.

I know I can get other components to do the lowering, but I'm thinking I could just grab some coil overs and avoid the hassle of getting the parts together and compressing the springs and what not. I can install them myself too from practice on my buddies Celica. Also, said friend with the Celica has put coil overs in as well as my friend with an integra and I like the lowered look and how it rides. i've also combed through a bunch of work logs in order to see how lowered MX3s look and I like them.
I've also known about the different wheel size speedo effect. My winter set up throws the speedo off by less then three percent and my summers by only around 2 percent. I've got some KYB protege struts lined up for 100 bucks(front set and back). I believe that leaves springs and mounts, both of which I'm probably going to be getting from PickNPull or parts cars. I'm not sure what else I need but I was hoping you could give me some more info on them?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

well instead of getting springs from the junkyard you could pick up lowering springs to try them out since your replacing stuff anyways.

as for what you need, here.
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /R-012.gif
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /R-030.gif
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Alright I know what you're saying now. I'm gonna look around, the installation won't be till weather is good so I'm in no hurry.
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

coilovers ftmfw! then you can adjust height till your hearts content :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

youdirtyfox wrote:coilovers ftmfw! then you can adjust height till your hearts content :D
Hahah yes, this is true!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Okay, so I've been thinking stuff over lately regarding an engine swap in the future and I've come up with some specs I'd like to have.
-200ish HP, I'd settle with 180 though.
-200ish torque. Of all of the things I really want this much torque, I'd for sure settle for less but I'd still love to have it.
-I'd like to get at least 400KM on a tank
I also want to be able to have a year round car, a car that I can drive in winter as well as summer. I'll have a spare hood and bumper(hopefully) that I could throw on during winter time but I don't want anything that will make winter use painful. i'd like to avoid a turbo due to the extra maintenance but I think for my criteria this is something I'll need to do. I don't mind having to tinker with the car every now and then to keep it going and running prime but I don't want a car that's one bad stroke of luck away from catastrophe. From the research I've done, which is by no means extensive, I think my best bet is to source out a BPT. I know Evo loves his, and I feel like I'd love mine as well, and Mil<e and Tav have knowledge on them too so I think I'd be very well off as far as information for, during and after the swap as well. Any thoughts?

Mil<e also hooked me up with some reverse glow gauges and minty fresh Protege GT seats(which don't smell like pizza like my current ones :D). I haven't tried the gauges yet but I've messed with my extra gauges so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, although I will probably put it off till next weekend at least. I've put one of the seats in, mostly because I feel rather cool with no passenger seat 8) :lol: I no longer have to rock the gangster lean to drive, and the seats feel much for comfortable, although my head feels quite higher now in relation to where it was before.

I also took care of my lights, they are now shining a wonderfully bright beam straight :) It was a little confusing because the bolts to level them are not placed in identical spots on the lights. The drivers side has it on the bottom part of the lo beam bulb and on the passengers side its in the top. I also got my remote starter and power lock installed on friday. They are wonderful and a great luxury haha.

Will post pics tomorrow :)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So i got some new seats :) I didn't take any pictures after they were put in but heres a pic of them in my trunk:
My bumper fitment is pretty bad right now, so I took a pic after a wash to show you guys how bad the fitment is.
I also went on a road trip to go buy some fireworks but I only got a couple of nice pictures before my friends drew penises and profanities in the dirt hahah
Heres a picture of my buddy posing in front of my car with some fireworks hahaha
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I knew I should have stolen those projectors when you were at my place!! They look so damn good!!! Those seats are nice too!!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

you need to go to the junkyard, find an mx3 with the bumper properly mounted and then take it off and take all the mounting hardware. (might take a couple to find one that's still proper)
that way you know where the mounting points should be and know what your missing, i did that once and realized my bumper was being held on with half the hardware it was supposed to have
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Tavman_1213 wrote:I knew I should have stolen those projectors when you were at my place!! They look so damn good!!! Those seats are nice too!!
Hahah thanks man, I love how they have some better back support, makes driving so much more enjoyable. By the way if you're still interested in borrowing those tail lights to see how they look let me know. I 'll snap a better pic of them installed soon, I keep forgetting haha
Evo_Spec wrote:you need to go to the junkyard, find an mx3 with the bumper properly mounted and then take it off and take all the mounting hardware. (might take a couple to find one that's still proper)
that way you know where the mounting points should be and know what your missing, i did that once and realized my bumper was being held on with half the hardware it was supposed to have
That;s a great idea, thanks. Neither of the ones down at PickNPull as of last saturday had the proper hardware and mounting done up so I"ll keep my eyes peeled and check it out next time.

I also did something extremely irresponsible, I took my MX3 into a field of approximately a foot of snow. I got in, but my buddy went to drive it out and got it high centred.n :oops: :oops: :lol: But I was prepared, I spent about forty minutes digging the whole thing out and a path to the rode. We had celebratory fireworks afterwords cause of how awesome we are hahah.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I also found a set of dirty and scratched up 5 spoke rims for $60. I'm gonna buy them tomorrow hopefully, gonna black them out with a matching blue lip and use them for my winters. I'm very excited for that :)
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:I also found a set of dirty and scratched up 5 spoke rims for $60. I'm gonna buy them tomorrow hopefully, gonna black them out with a matching blue lip and use them for my winters. I'm very excited for that :)
this answers my question in another thread.
They really aren't that dirty or scratched, assuming they're all like the one pictured, it's pretty good for 12+ year old rims.

also if you decide you don't want them i'll take them off you =D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:I also found a set of dirty and scratched up 5 spoke rims for $60. I'm gonna buy them tomorrow hopefully, gonna black them out with a matching blue lip and use them for my winters. I'm very excited for that :)
this answers my question in another thread.
They really aren't that dirty or scratched, assuming they're all like the one pictured, it's pretty good for 12+ year old rims.

also if you decide you don't want them i'll take them off you =D
I hope so, I don't care too much for silver rims on my car so I'll probably be painting them no matter what, but if they're in really good shape I might sit on them seeing as I already have mounted tires on my other winter rims. I don't know why, but I really like five spoke rims. I've seen black five spokes and they look pretty nice, but I think I want some bigger and fancier aftermarket rims though. Summer rims are about three months away so I'm in no rush to figure it out rich tnow.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”