Ford F2T or FS DE in an MX-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dwh1

Ford F2T or FS DE in an MX-3

Post by dwh1 »

Well, while at a somewhat local pull yard I found a 2.2L turbo engine (almost complete) in a '90 Ford Probe. Upon inspection it looks like it will most definitely fit in any SOHC MX. I myself have a '95 DOHC RS MX. I'm generating plenty of ideas with a swap of sorts. I'd like to keep it DOHC with possibly using pieces from a b6t. I'm wanting to know what you all think, of any of it. I'm open to suggestions, put-downs or anything relating to this frankenstein in conception. I know pics help people see/think a lil more clearly so I will eventually put a pic up. Thanks.
Last edited by dwh1 on November 8th, 2011, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcdh

Re: Ford F2T (2.2L Turbo)? in an MX-3

Post by marcdh »

They're just a bit weak IIRC. They don't like much more boost than standard. Go FE3 instead ;)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The F2T is a Mazda motor. It'll physically fit, but it'll be a custom job. Of course, although it looks like it, it's not compatible with the B-series motors. I didn't know the F2T's were weak.

You'll need the motor, trans, wiring harness and ECU. From there you'll have to make custom mounts and axles, shift linkages and more I'm sure. If you're getting that motor for the fact that it's cheaper than getting a BP/B6T, the custom parts will definitely offset that. Besides, the F2T motors are going to be old, the last cars to have that motor was in 1992, which means it'll hae some high mileage and parts for it may be hard to get.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

there is an owner on club protege that has this swap in a 1st gen protege. so yes its been done
dwh1

Post by dwh1 »

I had thought of this swap only because I thought it was readily available. Appearantly not as the pull yard is also a very active recycler. So the motor is gone. Now nowing the j-yard lifetime of a vehicle and some of the more frequent vehicles there I've been looking into a possible FS DE 2.0 swap. I have a few months before I make a decision on a swap, if at all (default decision is to just rebuild and upgrade the dohc b6). The FS DE seems very upgradeable. Tryin to make the best of my resources.
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Ford F2T or FS DE in an MX-3

Post by Josh »

FSDE... IMO I would just go with a BP :)

The only thing weak about the F2T is the cast crank. They dont take as much boost as their sister motor the FE3. If you come across a Kia Sportage with a DOHC 2.0L I4 that's an FE3 and can be adapted to the FWD and the MX :)

The FSDE will fit, and there are a few more direct bolt on's out there for them as they were in the probe.. I say heck why not. what are they like 130 - 140 or so in HP. would make for a nice DD.
dwh1

Post by dwh1 »

The F2T is gone and I doubt I will see another for a while. If I can find a BP at the time of purchase I will more than likely take the trodded path. It's just that I have been able to find the FS DE more often. The more I look into the FS DE I'm liking it more and more. It has roughly 130 hp with torque to match, it's distributorless and it has what seems to be a decent array of upgrades.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

dwh1 wrote:The F2T is gone and I doubt I will see another for a while. If I can find a BP at the time of purchase I will more than likely take the trodded path. It's just that I have been able to find the FS DE more often. The more I look into the FS DE I'm liking it more and more. It has roughly 130 hp with torque to match, it's distributorless and it has what seems to be a decent array of upgrades.
Yah, I think it is a rout that is much less traveled. Though the BP in later years was distributorless as well, and you can find Kia variants of the BP everywhere, usually for much cheaper than a Mazda BP. I would like to see someone put in a FSDE though. Fair amount of potential with it. Good luck with what you decide on doing.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”