Mazda 2.5 mx3 Electrical probs.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Mazda 2.5 mx3 Electrical probs.

Post by eunosklde »

Hey crew got a prob,I have a 1992 mazda mx3 running a 2001 klde,kl31,longneck.The thing is the mazda started to splatter under load few days ago.And today the electronics started to play up.Example today driving on the high way doing 100km/h,Everytime i put the blinker on or jump on the brakes the dash dials drop and play up.And the battery died in the a-- had to jump start it.Even the window wipers are slow to move.Could it be the alternator thats rat s---. :roll:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Mazda 2.5 mx3 Electrical probs.

Post by MrMazda92 »

Alt, grounds in bay, too high of a current draw elsewhere in the system... I hate electrical, you're chasing ghosts 9 times out of 10.
Describe the "splatter" for us, that may be significant, especially if it's disty related.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

The splatter,The car runs smooth when i drive like a girl,Its only when i put my foot down flat on the accelarator that the car starts to miss and ping top end and hesitate.The other thing the fuel pump started to make a whining noise and then stop never used to.All this problems from the fuel pump whine to the splatter and then the dash and battery going flat happened in week.Ive changed the little stuff on the car like,Leads,plugs,dizzy cap,Thanx heaps Mrmazda92 :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Start with grounds always. disconnect, clean, buff and replace all the grounds in the engine compartment. Then make sure that the battery has a full charge and check that the charging system is in fact charging. Just put a voltmeter on the battery and rev the engine up to about 2500ish. The voltage should go up when the RPMs rise. If the engine grounds are solid and the charging system is reacting as it should you probably have an intermittent short circuit somewhere.

Sputtering/hesitation does sound like a typical distributor problem. See if you can get your hands on a known good one from another running car.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Dam brother you know your s---,Thanx heaps for the tips and help :D .Im gonna start on it in the morning see how i go.Ill let you know how i go,cheers Mrmazda92 youve been a big help...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'd go with Wyt's route, he's had more experience on this one than I have, by a long shot. :D I've been pretty blessed with electrical, only small problems that I was able to figure out relatively quickly. Except for my cigarette lighter, I just decided it wasn't worth diagnosing, since I never use it to power anything. :lol:

Good luck on the diagnostics, I hope it goes well! Just keep updating this thread, so we can bounce ideas around. I try, but I haven't been on very much lately :( Just finally fixed my computer again...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanks for the help boys.I ended up taking my car to the auto Electrician today,Found out that it was the alternator that was causing all the problems.Swapped it with my spare alternator and its all good :) putting out 14.1 volts,All the problems gone.Thanks again Mrmaz and Wyt's :o .
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

When I had thesame problems my alternator died within 1 month.

But first go with the grounds before doing expensive repairs.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's good to know that solved it, It's still DEFINITELY a good idea to redo your grounds in the engine bay. I am waiting on this myself, since I'm doing an elaborate tuck when swap time comes for my '92, but It's one of the big things on the list.

I forgot to add, you're welcome. :D
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”