KLZE SWAP on obdII...any different then obdI?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitchell_jarvis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE SWAP on obdII...any different then obdI?

Post by mitchell_jarvis »

So i have a 1994 mazda mx3, with a klze, kl36 ecu, and je50 maf...but the body is rust out and its time to hit the junk yard, but i also have a 1996 mx3 1.8 v6. im going to do the swap into that one cause it has a good body. but its an obdII not obdI. is this going to be a problem?

also sense i have the kl36 ecu, if you have any knowledge of this ecus, youll know that it have a restriction at 185kmh. i wanna get rid of this. does the ebay chip work for this? i heard of cutting a wire tog et rid of it? or maybe get it reprogramed? i dont know what to do about it. I live in nova scotia halifax and i dont really know of any places around here that does tuning for mazda.

any help is great.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE SWAP on obdII...any different then obdI?

Post by Daninski »

Your OBD2 harness won't accept the OBD1 ECU. There is no chip available for the 96 ECU but hey don't worry be happy. The 96 OBD2 ECU is more advanced than the older OBD1 ECU and it will adjust to the larger injectors on your ZE. Read my work log. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65550
Simply install a KL02 VAF in place of the JE50 VAF and your engine will run great. :D
Be advised that the bottom O2 monitors can be eliminated when you install the ZE also make sure you install fresh denso O2 sensors. I posted that part number in FAX.
Finally, be careful, the rear lower O2 monitor plug will plug into your rear fuel rail. Don't ask how I found this out. :oops:
I connected the EGR electrically just so i didn't throw a code. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitchell_jarvis

thanks alot buddy. got a little scared there when you said the hareness wouldnt work... so what yoursaying is that i wont have a governor? and is the swap any harder for obd 2? and how would i eliminate the bottom o2 sensor? how often are you on? could we keep in touch over pm? im pretty new at this site and havent a clue how to use it properly. but i dare say youll be alot of help in doing this swap properly.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The bottom ones are only monitors not sensors. The top ones are your O2 sensors. Swaping OBD1 or OBD2 is the same. Best advise is just make the Kl going in look like the KL that came out. :D You just have to use the 96 O2 sensors, disty and that's it. Source out a KL02 VAF from a V6 Probe, MX-6 or 626.
You can sell the 94 disty as they are a little hard to come by and the KL36 ECU is worth a few bucks as well. I'm on here regularly so PM me as you see fit but please Search (or Google) first as every question you may have has already been answered but if your stuck either post your question of if it's OBD2 specific ask me for sure.
So where do you live?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitchell_jarvis

alright man, its hard to believe how much i researched but i seemed to miss some s---. but im hoping to get the old kl out of my 94 next weekend when i travel home for thanksgiving, no garage of anything just a driveway and some jacks. i live in nova scotia, halifax. but my home were the 94 rusted out piece of junk is, is 2 and a half hours away. so its a finish in a weekend type of thing. but i hope the swap goes smoothly. i plan on doing some internal upgrade during the winter and swapping it in, in the spring. the 94 runs really well though, gunna suck taking it apart. it ran a 15.05 at 96.5mph on a quater mile and helped me come first in the street division for the cape breton drag way(at one of the races) only ever went twice, came first my first time ever racing and second time i missed third so i lost and go eliminated.

but anyway, ya i hope to get the kl out and on a engine stand for the winter project

still how well did the obd2 kl swap run? think its better then obd 1?
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Why don't you swap over your harness from the old car ?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

WhiteFinish wrote:Why don't you swap over your harness from the old car ?
Have you ever had any experience with an OBD2 ZE swap? If not suggesting he swap over his harness is just based in ignorance. Your engine will run great and probably be faster than the engine was in your 94. You can still correct VRIS with MSD window switches if you want but all in all I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Remember use new O2 sensors for best performance. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65706
Rockauto.com has them for $37.63 each, works out to about $100 for both delivered to your door. Just use part number search. Use this discount code for 5% off :D 65984515480936
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mitchell_jarvis

swapping the harness seem to be alot of work. but like daninski, if theres a chance of more power and better performance im gunna stick to the obd2. daninski is there a write up on setting the correct vris with the msd window?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes. Try Search or Google, setting msd window switches KLZE.
VRIS#1 4000rpm-6800rpm
VRIS#2 4800rpm-6800rpm

This may help. http://www.bcpoc.ca/techinfo/2ndGen/MSD_DWS_VRIS.pdf
Bottom line is there's lots of info on this subject just use any search feature. MX6.com or Probetalk is good as well. Possibly Club Protege.

First thing you can do is find out which VRIS piont is already good as you really only need to correct one and I can't remember if it's #1or#2. Additonally, if you decide to go Mega Squirt you have no cam sensor in the disty so you would have to figure out a work around for that and I'm not sure if just reversing the 3 wires and using an older disty would work. Happy Searching. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Daninski wrote:
Have you ever had any experience with an OBD2 ZE swap? If not suggesting he swap over his harness is just based in ignorance.
Thank you for calling me ignorant :freak: :?

This person asks for advise and this is what I have experienced in the Netherlands.
We haven't been able to make a ZE run good in a ODB2 car, therefore most of them swap over the harness. This works very well.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mitchell_jarvis

thats a great write up on the msd windows, not cheap though.
klze come out this weekend hope all goes well
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

WhiteFinish wrote:
Daninski wrote:
Have you ever had any experience with an OBD2 ZE swap? If not suggesting he swap over his harness is just based in ignorance.
Thank you for calling me ignorant :freak: :?
Ignorant as in you have no knowledge on the subject not that your an ignorant (burping farting) person.
If your not getting it to work right you probably never tried the KL02 VAF? It's late here and I'm tired so let me ask you, do the MX-3s you have come with the JE50 vaf I can't rememeber.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I've never done an OBDII swap, but I would imagine Dan is right? There's nothing functionally different between any of the motors, except perhaps the EGR. A K8 harness vs a KLDE vs a KLZE harness are all the same, its just the sensors/external hardware that make it OBDI or II.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitchell_jarvis

alright so i got the engine out really easily, came out no problem at all.
while i had some extra time i pull the valve cover and didnt i see some green tint............. so the head gasket needs replacing. i was gunna replace all the gaskets regardless. all i really want to do is replaced the piston rings and gaskets.
think its possible to get away with just swapping some new rings in it and gaskets? i really dont have the extra cash to go full out. and i was happy with the performance of the engine anyway, sure more horsepower would be nice but that requires money i dont have.

so what im saying is if i replace the rings should i be good?
or will i end up with a blown engine and no money to fix it?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you're going that deep there's no point in wussing out....

To remove the pistons, you have to remove the rod bearings.

I'd say don't bother, if you're not going to do it properly.

Check the piston to wall clearance, and if that is out, replacing the rings is a waste anyway.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”