[WTB] atx to mtx swap parts

Looking for an Item you'd like to buy? Post here.
This section is NOT for selling.
xephorce

[WTB] atx to mtx swap parts

Post by xephorce »

i have 94 mx-3 Dohc and my atx just burned out for the 3rd time lol. well i want to just convert it to a mtx. need all the parts to do this. if i can get them cheaper here i would be happy. i found a 92 mx-3 mtx sohc for about $500 but think i could get everything here willing to travel to pick up parts if most or all of them are there. i have a JL Audio sub and alpine 500watt class d amp and 1 farad cap willing to trade for it. but i have cash to. let me know something soon. i am in the 618 area code to give an idea of where i am. email me at cmjs2@yahoo.com or post here if you have what i need
xephorce

Re: want to do a atx to mtx swap on my 94 mx-3 rs need all p

Post by xephorce »

how much for all the parts?
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

no one? ??? well maybe its not been long enough just really wanting to get rollin again been so long since just got to take her for a ride. sorry i am just a die-hard MX-3 fan. love at first ride lol
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Not many of us stock a complete car like that.

I don't at least, and I like to think my warehouse is respectable.

I don't know about your local junk yards, but you could get all you need in an afternoon for a decent price.

I'm being nice here (spoon feeding, that is)

Absolutely need:

-Transmission (includes slave cylinder and hard line, soft line, and later up to master cyl, also take reverse switch, neutral switch and spare switch from another car if one has broken wires, neutral and reverse are the same switch with a different connector, also take the speedometer sensor and cable + gauge cluster if applicable)

-Master cylinder. Every bit of line attached to it.

-Brake fluid reservoir, if yours doesn't have the tap on the side. If has the tap if there is a rubber nipple cover with a hose clamp on the passenger side near the bottom. If there is no nipple cover, grab a reservoir with one.

-Pedal assembly. Comes either in one piece or two piece. Just make sure you get a brake and clutch pedal, gas is the same (don't get). This includes the clutch switch and starter interlock switch. Also get all the bracketry that fastens it to the steering column.

-Shift linkage (selector bar and stabilizer bar and actual shifter)

-Driver's side axle. ATX one is one inch too long (see link)

Nice to have:

-MTX ECM.

-MTX engine harness.

-Plastic trim around the shifter inside the car, must be from your dash style (bubble vents or old style)

I think thats it...

Now please please please do your own research for the details required to do the swap, and start a worklog if you feel intimidated. That way we can keep an eye on your progress, point you in the right direction, and answer your questions.

Am I missing anythign?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

ryan thank you so much thats a big help there. thank you very much. i have my list and yours had alot i had not thought of. about the ecu is it required or will a 92 sohc mtx ecu work in my 94 dohc i could see issues there and i am starting a work log after this thank you again. i am not tryin to upset anyone just dont like downtime hope you can understand
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

the DOCH ECM has the VICS function whereas the SOHC does not. Aside from that, the distributor control may not be the same, and other issues.

In short, you need an ECM to match your engine. If you can't find an MTX DOHC ecm, then don't sweat it, the ATX works fine, just may need to tweak a few wires, nothing major (and nothing necessary to get it running).
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I have a brake master cylinder IIRC, as well as a stock shifter without the knob. PM me if you're interested. Also, if you got the clutch master cylinder, they don't come with the push rod, so you'd need that as well, which I might have too.

Let me know!

Good luck!

Brian
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: [WTB] atx to mtx swap parts

Post by SuperK »

Talk to Nobler about the swap, he's doing it right now to his 94, he bought all of his parts off me.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

what did you charge for all the parts that way i have an idea of what to pay. awww well wished you had more parts lol.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

I am not being that big of a help. but theres a wire you need to jump so you get reverse lights. im sorry idunno what its called or where it is. but its red. LOL! my cousin was the one to have to find it, i was a newbie at that time.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

The wiring for the clutch pedal safety and reverse lights arent difficult at all. There are quite a few posts about this topic that you can search for and find on the boards here. You'll even get some diagrams on some
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

wake up old post... ok took me a year but i think i am about to do the atx to mtx swap... trying to find parts over the next month or 2... just for a review of what i need to get the car running right as a mtx i need these parts.

Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch
Clutch hydraulic hard lines and hose
Driver's side MTX halfshaft
Shift Linkage and rod
Shifter
Clutch/Brake pedal assembly
MTX Transmission mount 3 of them total
Brake master cylinder reservoir from mtx or :idea: (can i just add a hole with a place for the hose to go?).....

reverse switch
neutral switch

MTX itself. question any MTX from B6 mazda engine will work in my MX-3 as long as the axles have matching spline counts?

on a side note what should i upgrade on this mtx to improve durability. not talking about spending $500 on a clutch but more like what cost effective. i was thinking flywheel maybe a clutch thats not oem. basically asking all you mtx owners whats the things common to the mtx that i should invest my money and time in to keep me from having to work on it for a long time lol...
remember i have had horrible experience with the atx... lol

thank you all for ne help you can offer

hope i can get this done for under $800 for all parts
Savin

Post by Savin »

As long as you remain stock, you won't need to upgrade anything. My car has over 200k miles on it. The previous owner changed out the trans sometime within the last 40k miles (unsure of time/mileage/or reason of swap). ....so 160k on original trans is good to me.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
xephorce

Post by xephorce »

well i am thinking about adding a turbo in the near future. basicly after i get the mtx swap done and the car broke in to its new way of life. but ya turbo will be next on list. and when i say turbo i me new air intake and exhuast no cutting corners. not to get far off topic but i heard that the DOHC 1.6 lt can be problematic when adding a turbo? wonder if the atx to manual swap would cause me issues with putting a turbo on? thanks guys. :|
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

No youll have no problems with turboing it with a atx to mtx swap. and if you do not get a MTX ecu all it causes is you to not have to plug your clutch in, in the interior which will cause you to not have to apply the clutch in to start it. and it will cause a Hold light on your dash to flash on the left side of the cluster, telling you to hold the brake. i just took the bulb out. problem solved.

Return to “MX-3 Related Want to Buy Forum”