Coolant refill problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Coolant refill problem

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

I changed out my radiator this week and ran a hose through the block to flush it all out with the stat removed also. I plan on doing a temperary headgasket fix so when refilling the coolant i left out the stat. for when it's to time put in the other stuff for the temp fix as recomended. Anyways i could only get like 4 1/8 quarts in when filling it up before it was full. i followed the instructions per the workshop manual. It is supposed to take just shy of 8 quarts or 2 gallons. anyone know whats up?
wytbishop

Re: Coolant refill problem

Post by wytbishop »

Ya got yerself a big ol' air bubble. So fill the rad and the engine as much as you can. Put the rad cap on but leave the engine cap off and start the engine. As the water pump circulates the coolant you air bubble will be pumped to the top and the coolant level will go down. Just keep topping it up until it stops going down. Should take about a minute to pump all the air out. Once it's full put about a quart in the overflow tank and you're go to go.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

I really hope this doesnt matter but i used a MX-6 radiator which was quite cheaper than an MX-3 one. Only thing it was missing compared to the MX-3 one is the port in the middle of the verticle side that that bottom tube of the resivour where u fill the acutal radiator attaches onto i just caped it off but is still connected at the top. I know the coolant is flowing through thow cause the rad was getting warm/hot
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Btw i forgot to add that i did just run it with the cap off and the level never went down. not sure if i have to get it up to full running temp though it was only running for like 5 mins and the motor was completely cool before starting
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Is yours a red one with two giant hella lights on the front? Just asking b/c I see that one in the city all the time (I work in penfield) Might be able to stop by and lend you a hand if yould like :wink:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RaspMetalicMX3SE

No Ive driven mine like 5,000-6,000 miles within the last 3 years. So not very much. I live out in Brockport so when I do drive its usually not too far. It's a SE and has a custom orange paintjob now used to be raspberry metalic.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

RaspMetalicMX3SE wrote:Btw i forgot to add that i did just run it with the cap off and the level never went down. not sure if i have to get it up to full running temp though it was only running for like 5 mins and the motor was completely cool before starting
If you removed the thermostat then you wouldn't have to wait for it to warm up (as the system should already be wide open).

If you're seeing bubbles come out, then it's working. The level may not go down as fast as you would think since mine did not. You may have to wait a bit to push those bubbles out before you add more coolant.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

With the caps on grab the hose above the TB and squeeze it repeatedly. This will help force air out of the system.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Perfect example of a question asked properly, and answered properly.

I have nothing to add but compliments guys. This is how we should always work together!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

how did you cap it? what did you use?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RaspMetalicMX3SE

actually the new radiator came with one of the ports capped off and since i needed to use that port also i removed it and placed it on the one on the bottom of the neck. It's basically like a rubber cup held on with a radiator clamp
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

im looking for 2 caps like that...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Those caps are just for keeping crap out during storage and shipping etc. They are not rated for engine temps. FYI.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

good call on that bishop.... ill have to def keep an eye on it

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”