Contemplating Possibilities.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
grim760
antispam: No

Contemplating Possibilities.

Post by grim760 »

So I found an mx-3 in the junk yard with the rear windshield wiper which I don't have. So I was thinking about going back and taking the whole hatch and putting it on my car. Other than the hatch, what else would I need to salvage? And then I saw that the car had the automatic sunroof which mine does not. How much work would I have to go through to make this conversion?
Hoodzy

Re: Contemplating Possibilities.

Post by Hoodzy »

More then what it's probably worth especially for the sunroof... you would have to cut a hole in your roof. I'm not sure how smoothly the swap can go because the roof is hollow for you to install the actual rails and such.. You would have to be really good with metal work. As well install some draining tubes.

The wiper you may be able to just plug it into a harness..
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Dragon1212 »

my dad installed a sunroof in our old van, he said it was more work than was worth it.

Plus look at a roof shot from a sunroofless model and one with it, they are completely different, if your willing to put in a whole roof for a sunroofed one then go for it.

No idea about the hatch
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i've heard mostly bad things about aftermarket sunroofs, but Kp2t had good experience with his

As far as I've heard, you can put the sunroof into a non-sunroof Mx-3, and apparently it's a good way to go.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hatch will just bolt on. Not sure if all the wiring is there though, and you probably need the combination switch too.

Sunroof... don't do it. Unless you're cutting a hole (bad idea) you need to cut out and weld in a new roof panel (hard, and body work)

95.62% of after market sunroofs leak, due to shittastic design, innate issues with sealing, and lack of drainage.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
grim760
antispam: No

Post by grim760 »

Well this is what I'm working with. So the hole is already there.
ImageImageImage
And the only reason why I thought this was possible was because my crx had a moon roof where the rails were on the rim of the hole and the sun roof would slide over the car roof. But since the the rails go inside the car then I guess it makes things harder. So the wiper on the hatch is essentially a bolt on process, right?
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

If the harness has wires Yes it should just be a bolt on. Does your wiper arm on the steering column have a rear wiper switch? if it does it likely is.

(sorry if you know this) Our moon roof comes out of the car and goes over the roof too. judging by that picture you probably have the sub roof that the rail's are usually mounted in, But you have to confirm with the longer members here i've never taken mine apart.

FOUR TREES! GEEZ!~ :S :werd:
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”