Engine Swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Engine Swap

Post by Ryan »

But mostly just you.

I'd suggest backing up your babble with some resources, not just "I think" otherwise its generally bad advice...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:I'd suggest backing up your babble with some resources, not just "I think" otherwise its generally bad advice...
Indeed. That's how bad/misinformation gets spread around.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
d-mcgeachy

Post by d-mcgeachy »

But will i have any extra clips on the harness that dont plug into anything?
Savin

Post by Savin »

Nd4SpdSe already told you EVERYTHING you need to do to make it all work without issues...

To answer your question to another question: But did you bother to http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/search.php yet? All answers are there.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

carizle wrote:
Daninski wrote:
carizle wrote:Oh noticing your model years you swapped an obd 2 engine into what may be an obd 1 car. You'll have to verify which ecu you have as I think I read the change over was mid year in 94.
Without trying to insult you carizle, there is no such thing as an OBD1 or OBD2 engines,,period. Simply make the engine look like the K8 you removed and your good to go. Always use the Disty that came with your car.

d-mcgeachy, if you installed the engine with the 96 exhaust manifolds you'll notice there's an extra O2 sensor in each exhaust. Just ignore the bottom ones.
:lol: Its cool Dan I'm not offended easily anyway. All I know is I try to stay away from anything that had obd2. I was just assuming there might be some harness complications. But you know what they say, when you assume, you make an a-- of u and me :lol:
Even being OBD2 you could still mega squirt or some other FMS. OBD2 is a very good system in that the system itself is far more adaptive than OBD1 so to a certain degree you don't need to chip stuff for it to work. Remember, you have nothing to fear but, umm oh, lets see. Oh ya, never put the cart before the fruit??? I think that's it. Just do it. :D (this was meant to make no sense at all, did I succeed?)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
d-mcgeachy

Post by d-mcgeachy »

I searched on this site but i cant find if there should be any left over clips that wont plug in anywhere?
Savin

Post by Savin »

If you did search, you would've realized the KL is just an oversized K8. Thus meaning, every plug has a place. :roll: That's why we said to swap over the sensors off the K8. If you would do that, then you wouldn't have any extra plugs, now would you?

So yeah...If you searched, you didn't spend anymore than like 5 minutes doing it...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I spend countless weeks/months seaching before we did my ZE swap. I wanted to make sure everything was known and accounted for when doing the work. Ended up over researching (despite ZE swaps weren't that common back then).

There will always be connectors left open from the factory, depends on what kind of car and options you have.

If you're worried, label them as you disconnect them. Use masking tape on each connector, use letters, numbers, than mark them on a sheet (A-neutral switch, B-knock sensor, C-distributor, D-02 Sensor Left, etc...)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
d-mcgeachy

Post by d-mcgeachy »

Ya i have 4 left over clips that dont have a place to go so i guess those will be extras and dont need to be used?
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I spend countless weeks/months seaching before we did my ZE swap. I wanted to make sure everything was known and accounted for when doing the work. Ended up over researching.....

There will always be connectors left open from the factory, depends on what kind of car and options you have.

If you're worried, label them as you disconnect them. Use masking tape on each connector, use letters, numbers, than mark them on a sheet (A-neutral switch, B-knock sensor, C-distributor, D-02 Sensor Left, etc...)
Hit the nail on the head, I'm just doing my swap and I wish I spent more time figuring it out for myself and less time depending on people to answer my questions that are already answered and easy to find. If your any bit automotively inclined, its not difficult. Never heard of an easier swap
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

d-mcgeachy wrote:Ya i have 4 left over clips that dont have a place to go so i guess those will be extras and dont need to be used?
Are those clips on the car or on the engine? Take pictures of the plugs/clips and post them and we'll tell you what they are and where they go. :D

OK pic 1. Image

Pic 2. Image

OK I did the work and loaded the pics, who wants to take a crack at identifying the plugs and please if your not sure don't guess. :)
Last edited by Daninski on March 20th, 2011, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
carizle

Post by carizle »

Daninski wrote:
d-mcgeachy wrote:Ya i have 4 left over clips that dont have a place to go so i guess those will be extras and dont need to be used?
Are those clips on the car or on the engine? Take pictures of the plugs/clips and post them and we'll tell you what they are and where they go. :D

OK pic 1. Image

Pic 2. Image

OK I did the work and loaded the pics, who wants to take a crack at identifying the plugs and please if your not sure don't guess. :)
I'm gonna guess the 'sorry this picture or video has been moved or deleted' clip for #1 and 'sorry this picture or video has been moved or deleted' for photo #2 :shrug: But don't quote me on that cause I'm not sure. :lol:
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Funny is funny but stupid is just that. If this isn't answered by tomorrow I'll help him.

Well who has egg on their face :oops: Need to reinsert the pics.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

comments?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

carizle

Post by carizle »

Daninski wrote:
Well who has egg on their face :oops: Need to reinsert the pics.
:werd:
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”