Cranks, puts a bit - but will not start.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
spete701
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Cranks, puts a bit - but will not start.

Post by spete701 »

Ok, I started a new thread on testing the VAF - that is it's own topic.

For now, I've got my soldering IRON and a GM HEI module and lots of cable - YA-baby!

I wonder if my car will start tomorrow? It's snowing outside.
-The Bus Ryder, a man so cursed as to walk the earth, and at night, ride on the lonely random streets as a passenger.
spete701

Post by spete701 »

After ignition coil - still no start.

This thing needs to be in a garage, fixed by someone who has tools, and knows what they are doing.

I do not have tools, I do not have a garage, I do not know what I'm doing.

I've put in a good effort to fix this car. But I have done all that I can.

Can anyone in Calgary help?
-The Bus Ryder, a man so cursed as to walk the earth, and at night, ride on the lonely random streets as a passenger.
spete701

Post by spete701 »

To hell with this car! I'm getting rid of it pronto!
500 bucks takes it!

I can't post to the FS thread :(
mikeetown
antispam: No

Post by mikeetown »

have u tried a new starter?
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Contact a moderator to get you access to the FS post. Man you've fought the good fight, if I lived near you I'd come over for sure. Anyone up for helping this guy in his home town? I'll reread your post and if i have any suggestions I'll get back to ya. Hang in there. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Maz ... wsec=Books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77147
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
spete701

Post by spete701 »

I doubt the car will sell at $500.

Maybe it's a starter. but, gee whiz. that's not something that I can just swap out to test.

The only way out is that way through. - I've been really upset over this. Took a few hours to listen to some Zen MP3 last night. Brother took me out for a beer I'm feeling a little better.

The key is turned.
The fuel pump kicks in.
The starter - I hear that turning.
I crank it.
I stop, cranking the key.
Exhaust can be heard. put put put put put, then silence.

This only happens on a cold start. When the car has not been running.
The car was making a bit of a farty noise last time I drove it.
My brother suggests the VAF - it may be telling the ECU to limit the amount of fuel to inject, by telling the ECU that the air is much colder than it is.
Tested the resistance on two of the pins for the VAF, One for the thermo-sensor at room temperature, I have a reading that is almost off the charts. 18,500 Ohm resistance. Proper reading if the car is at -20
I wonder if this is my problem. I will test this in the cold. Maybe I will get a reading of 110,000 Ohm - I wonder what happens if I just cut this pin and drive for a while?
Or if I just unplug the harness to the VAF.

I've never tried running the car without the VAF plugged in. I thought that it would not start at all.

If a car is starved of oxygen will it make a farty noise?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It still could be many many things.

Try getting your hands on a timing light. Timing can jump spontaneously... if crap falls into the gears for example. Mazda decided to use a rubber gasket... brilliant eh? its happened to me before.

Do you have spark? Pull a lead and just hold it very close to a ground. No plug. You should see it jump, if you can't make it jump at all, no spark. This is hard to do in bright daylight, so have shade or a garage or cloudy day or something.

If you unplug the VAF entirely, it still runs, so stop looking at that.

Almost 0 sensors are used at startup. All the cam sensors are, though, so a fried disty will cause a no-start. EGR won't cause this issue, VAF, O2's, TPS, IAC... any of the regular problem-whores. Mainly just distributor.

Look at this chart:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-014.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the next page.

Cold cranking: both cam sensors, throttle position sensor (throttle wide open is dechoke-prevents starting), temp sensor has some effect, but not start-or-not, egr closed(not important), and ignition switch, which is obviously working.

Also, try a spare ECM. They have been known to take a hike too. They're always the last thing to be randomly replaced in Mazda repair manuals. Hard to diagnose the thing that does the diagnostics....

So, make sure your TPS isn't reading dechoke(wide open). Try unplugging that too. It will run with no signal, but not with dechoke.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
spete701

Post by spete701 »

Ryan,

I really appreciate your help.

: )
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

k did u replace your ignition coil cause i had the same issue and i replaced that and it works now
worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77147
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
mogollonster

Post by mogollonster »

Hi i have a similar problem here.

I want to know if anyone can help me. (Sorry about my english i'm in Venezuela)

I have a 1993 Mx3 MT 1.6L SHOC

I recently have a problem with a spark plug, the camera lost the thread and had to send it to do again. to make the story short, the mechanics did a bad job and my distributor was broke up (literally), and the engine light stays on. I changed the distributor but the engine light never goes off.

After about two weeks the car wont start when it gets cold (it get cold about 6 to 8 hours after turn off), so i read all this post and feel like the same thing is happening to me.

When i try to start the car it sound like were short of battery or something electric, losing all the power and don't start, after that i try again about two times and it start fine, when the car turns on it don't keep the idle and i have to keep it pressing the gas pedal to about 2K or 2.5K on RPM. When the temperature get normal all works OK, it keep the idle and turn on fine.

I check the CEL codes and get two, first code 02 (G angle sensor) and second 09 (Coolant sensor), the good mechanics don't want to check my cars because they have a lots of 'easy cake' cars to fix and don't want to do the job on mine because it could be hard and time consuming.

So i want to know if spete701 could solve the problem? and if these codes cold be the problem on the cold-start?

I driving my car every day, i keep trying on the ignition key every morning and every evening when i get to/from work, but i think if this problem could get worse that day when i most need the car?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The way I'm understanding you...

It could be as simple as a battery connection problem. When it doesn't start on you, go out and wiggle the battery terminals and try again.

The G signal is a distributor code, you should look into trying a spare distributor.

The coolant sensor is the green one located on the intake manifold.

Check your intake for leaks, cracked rubber, etc.

Also look up "cleaning throttle body" in the FAQ on this site and try that out.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”