exhaust question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Weistal67
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

exhaust question

Post by Weistal67 »

So I finally got my 93 GS together and running good however I have an issue. The car came with the typical "fart can" that the previous owner installed. I want it gone. It sounds like an army of angry midgets beating on tin cans.

If I cut the can off and straight pipe it from the cat will it sound like crap or should I get a stock muffler from pick n pull? Looking for cheap and liveable for a year or so until I can get and complete my intended kl build. I'm not really concerned with performance with the K8.

Any help us welcome and I apologize if this info is here and I missed it. Only have my phone for internet atm and it has issues running most pages.
wytbishop

Re: exhaust question

Post by wytbishop »

Without any muffler at all it will be really loud. As loud as you think it is now, it will be way louder with nothing. Stock replacement mufflers are suprisingly affordable. I got one for a previous car for $100 installed. Pick n Pull is also an option.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

dynomax makes a muffler called the super turbo. its supposed to be quiet and give a nice sound. they go for under $50, might want to give that a try...
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

@wytbishop it's not that it's too loud it just sounds like crap. Heading to pick n pull tomorrow anyways so I'll see what they want for a stock setup. If they want too much or I can't find something decent I'll look into that dynomax setup. Thanks to both of you.
Dentfixer

Post by Dentfixer »

LOL @ the angry midgets comment reminded me of this toyota add from over the pond, here in Oz, whenever some asks how many kilowatts the car has.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npnZvTLMR1w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine is way toooooo loud as well at the moment and need to get it sorted, can't even hear the stereo at 2000 rpms, the previous manager at my work in his infinite wisdom cut it off one afternoon and welded up a straight piece of 2.5 pipe to it. :lol: every cop I drive past looks at me and then whoever is near by with a fart cannon hanging out the back.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Best mufflers I've seen are Magnaflow however if your a little lean on funds price may be restrictive. You need to use a resonator as well unless engine drone dosen't bother you. For stock mufflers Rockauto.com has good prices.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Weistal67

Post by Weistal67 »

Again thanks for all the responses. Going to sort this out over the next week or two.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”