Need Info on Short Shifters

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need Info on Short Shifters

Post by cWs306 »

Hey everyone, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the ebay short shifters.. are they worth buying? if not, What's a good place to go to get one? (internet would be best..not many aftermarket car shops in my city) Thanks Alot everyone! have a gooder!
Newfie_dan

Re: Need Info on Short Shifters

Post by Newfie_dan »

just bring me your stock one and I can make you one rather than buy one. I did it to mine and it works just as well as any ebay shifter.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

take your shifter out,

cut it in between the pivot point and where it connects to the shifter linkeage,

weld a piece in, lengthening the gap between the pivot point and where it connects to the shifter linkeage.

the longer you make it, the shorter your throw.

now you have a short shifter.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

okay well i might be able to do that.. its just my shifter doesnt quite stay up in position like it should.. it keeps falling down onto the exaust(had a resinator removed and it was directly under the shifter) thats why i was thinkin buy a whole new shifter.. but so where and what would i buy to make it stay in there like normal? its a pain in the a-- shifting with it sitting on the exhaust lol.. sometime can feel the heat coming through the boot too :P.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

you will need a replacement for the rubber bushing that keeps it in place if it falls through, best bet is to head out to affiliated during the week they have a few mx3s you should find a good 1 there.
Dentfixer

Post by Dentfixer »

I made an exact replica of the bracket that is on this forum in a thread somewhere now it will never drop and surprisingly there isn't any vibration from the engine as I expected. Took about 45 mins to manufacture and about 30-40 mins to install.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

My solution was more simple than a bracket.

I drilled clean through the plate that bolts to the chassis, and the teardrop shaped linkage plate, and put a bolt through the hole, washers on all sides, and finger tightened a nut on, and then a jam nut.

Works great, still allows movement.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Ryan wrote:My solution was more simple than a bracket.

I drilled clean through the plate that bolts to the chassis, and the teardrop shaped linkage plate, and put a bolt through the hole, washers on all sides, and finger tightened a nut on, and then a jam nut.

Works great, still allows movement.

lol i did this to mine as well even tho the rubber bushing isnt broken, just a little extra support so that it will never brake.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

im glad im not the only person who has had my shifter fall through the floor
93 GS/SE
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

oh okay right on. well i have to run out there anyways too. i ended up snapping my passenger side rear spring in 2 places.. the thing is mangled!!!!!!!!!!! lol messed up. and how much would you charge me to make a short shift? and will it snap lol? or can you weld very good.? and yah mine fell threw on me as i was shifting into 3rd when i was racing some dumb honda civic.. ended up losing cause i started freaking out over it hahahah.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

lol I am journeyman heavy equipment tech with over 5 years of fab experience trust me if you can imagine it I can make it and make it to last. I made mine about 6 months ago and it works very well and trust me if it stands up to me then it will last the test of time. Just bring me a factory shifter and I will modify it to make it short shift, as for charge make it a 6 pack of mgd and you will be good to go.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

cWs306 wrote:and yah mine fell threw on me as i was shifting into 3rd when i was racing some dumb honda civic.. ended up losing cause i started freaking out over it hahahah.
Dumb Honda civic eh??? Sounds like he won. :P
Last edited by Daninski on October 6th, 2010, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

lol. your just all over me now arnt you.. i got it okay.. lol. and NO! he didnt win.. there was other red light's... lol

Return to “Transmissions”