How to replace friction gear springs W/O removing the Tbelt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How to replace friction gear springs W/O removing the Tbelt

Post by Ryan »

Yay for little saturday write-up.

First of all, I take no responsibility for your actions, regardless or this, or any thread, ever. Reading this, you consent to not bringing this into the legal sandbox whatsoever. Blah blah...

Okay. So your car ticks. its probably when hot, and not when cold. The issues is a brilliant Mazda engineer's not so brilliant idea.

Its caused by this little guy on the right:

As you can see, the difference between the OEM and the new is the little tabs on the inside of the washer. the old design caused the washer to just spin on the nut. What dummy didn't see that coming as a possibility? No engineer I can imagine...

Anhow, so here's how you do the repair:

Go to Mazda, and buy two cam washers. They're ~$11 each. you can buy the nuts too, but you don't have to if you own an angle grinder.

Odd tools I didn't, or you might not have laying around, that you need:

- 1-5/8" wrench or socket (or a good adjustable wrench capable of that)
- 1" +/- 1/8 wrenches, or an monkey wrench/adjustable wrench, whatever.
-torque wrench (pretty important)
-white-out or similar, to mark cam gear position relative to eachother
-gasket maker
-valve cover gaskets, you may as well, you're doing all the work to do it.
-If you have all day, combine this with timing belt /waterpump /HLA service....

And then your basic socket set w/ various extensions, etc...

Keday, lets do the easy part first.

-Warm up your car. The only purpose for this is to soften up the timing covers so they don't crack when you bend them around later.

-Disconnect your negative terminal, take off all connectors onto the intake manifold, fuel, throttle, intake(all the rubber stuff), idle air control, knock sensor, VICS, and EGR solenoids(remember the yellow connector goes on the top solenoid), brake booster hose, and the crankcase vent on the rear head on the passenger side. Take off your strut bar, if applicable... you get the idea.

Remove your front valvecover. No need to remove the distributor. Oh, lay the plug wires aside too, but no need to disconnect them from the cap.

Horray. Alright, now before you remove any cam caps, mark the gears so you know how it goes together again.

Now, stick the 1 inch ish wrench on the exahust cam, and pull back the timing covers and stick a 17mm wrench on the bolt. Its a tight bastard. loosen it a few turns, but DON'T TAKE IT OFF! Also, don't let that big wrench just jam on the head, hold it while you try and get the bolt loose

Now, gently pry the gear away a little with your hands, just enough so you can fit a socket on the bolts on that end cap, under the gear.

Remove the cam caps that you need to get the intake cam out. Do it as per the manual if you're unsure. Pretty much each bolt a 1/4 turn until they're all loose. I have never broken a cam doing it more than that, but you choose your own level of 'careful'

Remember the order and orientation, its important. If you forget, G is the one closest to the disty, and read from the same direction as the numbers on the exhaust cam caps.

TRICK:

Use the bolt to pry the cap off the alignment studs. Better than getting the BFH out .

If you can't get the cap out from under the gear like this:

Then pull the gear off a little more until you can. Don't be afraid to scrape the cams a little, the caps are aluminum and won't scratch the cams unless you really go at it.

Now, remove the cam and squish it in your bench vice. on the hexagonal part. you should probably wrap the rest of the cam in a cloth so you don't accidentally damage the lobes. Also, be careful, the cams and caps and stuff are sharp.

Now get that big 1-5/8 socket on there and get'r off. That's in the picture above. Obviously, note how it goes together, its only 2 parts... no need to remove the friction gear at all, just the washer and nut.

Now when you go to put the new washer on, you'll notice a problem:

So, out with your grinder, unless you have the nut, then skip down to trying to align the gears.

Until you get this:

REMEMBER NOT TO GRIND ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAM OR OPEN ENGINE AND REMEMBER TO CLEAN OFF THE NUT!

Now, put it back together. Okay, TRICK: Look at your mark as you tighten it down. Tighten it NEARLY as tight as you can, and see how the teeth align. You may have to back off, or tighten a tiny bit more than perhaps feels right.

This is what you want, see how the teeth line up nicely:

Now, re-install the cam, and tighten the cam caps down to circa 10 ft lbs. manual suggest 100-125 inch pounds ( divide by 12 for foot lbs)

Don't forget to put sealant under the end cap, just a little. Don't let it squish into the cam journals. Here:
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-099.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, you need to somehow manage to get the cam seals in place properly. I just did my best and hoped for the best. Make sure they're in the right spot, and maybe put a little sealant on the rim of it.

Reinstall the cam end bolt to around 90 ft lbs. Remember to hold the wrench, and not jam it on the head.

Install the valvecover with your new gaskets, if applicable, with sealant in the correct places as per the manual link above.

Next is the rear head.

Remove just enough stuff to get the intake manifold up like this:

Check your valves for oil. If there's a pool of oil, bad valve stem seals / sleeves. You need to remove the heads and pay someone quite a bit to fix that.

Stuff something down the ports, and take a shop vac and suck all the loose stuff away just for good measure.

Remove the rear valve cover, and pretty much repeat the process.

I actually opted to NOT loosen the cam gear. I managed to get the end cap off and cam out, but the struggle is cleaning the gasket surface and re-applying the maker on re-installation. Your choice.

On this end cap there is an extra bolt, don't forget it, and be a moron and get pissed trying to get the cap off with a bolt still in it...

Repeat the mark / remove / vice / align teeth / reinstall.

sealant under the end caps again. You're technically supposed to remove all the old stuff, too.

New valvecover gasket, blah blah, reinstall VC.

then take out the stuff in your intake ports, and reassemble your motor. I opted to leave the bastard bolt on the back of the manifold OFF. I really hate that thing, and the manifold has a lip that sits on that bracket anyway.

Tada, enjoy your quiet engine.

Keywords: cam washers friction gear spring without timing belt
Last edited by Ryan on September 27th, 2010, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
NLRisingSun

Re: How to replace cam washers without removing the timing b

Post by NLRisingSun »

Wow, great tutorial! I got the ticking problem, but still considering to do the KLZE swap, so i'm not going to do it i think, i dont harm my engine right?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yup, pretty well harmless.

You could do it to your KLZE though. 10x easier when the motor isn't in the car.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Ryan, isn't this the friction gear spring?

Nice write up, your engine kind of looks like mine did before I rebuilt it.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

yeah, cam washer, friction gear spring, same thing.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Great write up Ryan. I was under the impression that the ticking was a result of Mazda not making the lifter oil press. hole large enough. There's a company out ther that sells lifters for mazda's saying the oil hole in the lifter is larger so that eliminates the ticking noise. Comment?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I thought this was common knowledge.

HLA (lifter) ticking happens too. Still valvetrain noise, but lighter, and often at a higher frequency (more lifters tapping) and is worse when cold/starting up, and may or may not get better with temp.

cam washer (friction gear spring) noise is exactly at cam speed, and louder, and mostly when the car is hot (hot metal doesn't press as hard, and its well lubed)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Great write up Ryan, thank you (too bad you didn't do it earlier, when I had to change them. :x :mrgreen: ).

Anyways, just as a suggestion, maybe you should add the right name (friction gear springs) to the title, to make searching for it easier in the future...

Also, an easy way to determine if the noise is lifter or FGS related, (besides what Ryan said) is that FGS noise disappears over 3000 RPM approx. while lifter noise normally doesn't. And FGS noise is usually louder on the passenger side.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: How to replace friction gear springs W/O removing the Tb

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

This should be stickied and/or added to the V6 FAQ section.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
davmac

Post by davmac »

+1 make this a sticky. This is ingenious and well documented so others could follow. I replaced mine when I removed the heads to replace the head gasket. A couple of tips from when I did mine:
- On mine the friction spring nut is 46mm – it will take a 1 13/16 socket which is easier to find
- If you don’t want to buy a big socket and don’t have a large adjustable wrench, but do have a vice then just stand the camshaft up in the vice. Use the vice to hold the friction spring nut. A large adjustable wrench can then be used on the flats of the camshaft to remove and install the friction spring nut
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Tight write-up.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I spent some time at the Mazda Dealership today, and was quoted a price for the washer and nut to do this.

~$13 for the washer(each)

~$27 for the nut(each)

That puts down any thought of buying the Mazda fix for me.

Any thoughts on tac welding the OEM nut and washer together? It would still come off(as one piece obviously), and I can't really think of a negative other than that(if it even is one)?

It's a great fix, and I've been meaning to do it for a while now... My engine sounds like crap, and this was the first abnormal noise that cropped up. I'll be doing whichever method I pick for my K8 as well as my hybrid.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Eh, I wouldn't suggest TACK welding them together. That FGS sees actually a LOT of torque, not to mention the heating/cooling cycles, and the vibration...

So do more than a tack, and cross your fingers it doesn't come apart.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hmm. Point taken, my concern with welding is the possibility of mangling the nut so much that it wouldn't fit in a socket. I just hate that it'd cost me $40 for something so simple! The washer is reasonable(ish), but I need 4. I can grind the nut, but 4 washers at $13/each is overpriced to say the least. I'll figure something out, but if anybody knows an alternative, please let me know!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Why 4? Only 2 cams have the friction gear spring. Or you doing two cars?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”