Stoopid Frickin Charging System!!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Newfie_dan

Re: Stoopid Frickin Charging System!!!

Post by Newfie_dan »

hmm well to burn out a rectifier you would need to get the alternator pretty hot meaning a damn high draw but if the rear defrost fuse did not blow then you know its not that at fault. I will do a current draw test on mine for you tomorrow see what the draw is at idle with all accessories off including my deck then with the rear defrost on so you have a baseline. My gut tells me that it was a crap alternator though as I have had them do some pretty weird crap over the years, i think the worse was when the voltage regulator went in and out on one kicking out as much as 30 volts dc then back to 12 volts. It cooked the alternator and if memory serves that was a champion reman.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I would appreciate having some numbers to compare.

Thanks.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

ok so at idle when warmed up and with all lighting, sound system etc off I had 1.9 amps constant, with defrost on it spiked at 10 amps draw then dropped slowly down to 3 or so. With sound on all lights etc I was around 14 amps.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

How are you measuring the current? Are you sure you're measuing DC and not AC?

I am using this amp clamp set to DC Amps... http://www.myflukestore.com/p1252/fluke_337.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and my values are astronomically higher than yours. with no accesories except running lights I was getting 39.5A and with the defroster on I was getting 59A. These numbers made sense to me as it's a 90A alternator I expect it to be working at 50-60% of its capacity.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

dc amp clamp on the positive cable to the battery I will double check for you tomorrow after work to make sure that my numbers are accurate.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm using the output wire of the alternator. I'll try it your way and see what I get.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I can that one as well for you that way we both have a comparison to work from.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I have been stupid busy the last few days I will post for you as soon as I can get some readings.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I've been driving with the replacement alternator for a few days now and there have been no issues. I unwrapped the harness and cleaned everything up...rewrapped it and replaced the eyelet that bolts to the alternator B terminal as well as replacing the defroster relay and it seems to be good. There was a bit of corrosion on the old eyelet and I'm thinking that may have been causing the high resistance that was killing the alternator.

The defroster works better and I haven't smelled the telltale burning smell since I soldered on the new eyelet.

I think I may be ok. Thanks for you help.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”