Has any one had trouble installing their short throw shifter

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
wohpony
antispam: No

Has any one had trouble installing their short throw shifter

Post by wohpony »

Hi, I'm in the middle of installing a ebay short throw shifter and I can not get it to fit all the way into the hole. It goes all the way down to the second O-ring and feels like its in there good but I can't get it to go any further. Will it bo ok like this or do I need to find a way to force it in far enough to install the snap spring?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RACING-S ... ccessories
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
wytbishop

Re: Has any one had trouble installing their short throw shifter

Post by wytbishop »

If you can't install the spring what will keep it from popping out? I would compare the pivot to the stock shifter and make sure that it is the same size.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
m7x3r

Re: Has any one had trouble installing their short throw shi

Post by m7x3r »

Hey guys I figured I would throw my question here since the thread is already started as oppose to starting a new one... hoping that i get some feedback... okay so i just got my b&m short shifter and the instructions they have are simple and easy to follow except they're too easy... so i got my shifter in but like buddy said got it through the second o ring that comes already on the pivot i never put in the original o rings because even in their installation instruction it says to only put back the retainer spring/or o ring but i am sure i need i need the retainer spring at least like you said to hold it from popping out...

see first when i put it in it looked like it was fine but it won't even go to 2nd gear so i figured something is wrong.. i figured the shifter linkage is not moving the way it suppose to be being restricted by the improper installation of the shifter... so i managed to squeeze in a bit more and push it down a tiny bit further then it was fine shifting through gears... but i still need to put in the retainer spring... now the million dollar question here... how high is the b&m shifter suppose to sit... i mean i understand it's short throw but that has nothing to do with the shifter's height well at least from the top from the bottom the longer it's the shorter the throws.... but how high is it suppose to sit ... like a stock shifter's height or a bit lower .... i don't really like it soo high and i got this because the custom one made from a protoge was cut and welded together and it snapped after a year of driving and heavy vibrations so I am not gonna cut and weld this one but i'd like it to sit a bit lower it feels so high any suggestions guys

thank you all in advance :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Hmmm...I have a B&M shifter in a box and I have had it installed in the past with no problem. Perhaps your unit is not specific for the MX-3? I would remove it and compare the overall size of the pivot section and make sure they are actually the same depth. If the aftermarket one is larger it will never work.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Hey thanks for the reply,

I am pretty sure it's for the MX3 it works on the protege's as well... i'll take it out and try to put it back in again with a bit more grease... but do you know how long is the shifter shaft like is it stock shifter length or a bit shorter???
BrandonM
antispam: No

Post by BrandonM »

All I did was take out the orings cause they were binding.
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

sorry what what do you mean by the o-rings being binding.. do you mean that the o-rings come binded or part of the b&m shifter already and that's why we don't need the stock o-rings that come with it which means we only need the retainer spring .....? still wondering how long is this shifter suppose to be stock length shorter i feel like it's longer but may be coz i got used to the old one i had the custom made one from protoge it was cut ...i am trying to attach a pic to show you guys but i can't upload pix i have to have it on a website
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Okay here is a pic of how it looks like when i put it in from underneath was getting my exhaust made that's when i did it hopefully you guys can tell if this looks like it's all the way in or it needs to be in more

http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... hifter.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

what he means is that the o rings make the shifter pivot to wide to fit down into the hole properly so remove them and it will fit in there better allowing you to put the snap ring on. I made my own after work one day, I just simply cut a 1.5" section out of the straight part above the pivot and then cut and added that to the bottom section. Made a huge difference but as an fyi my shifter was hollow in the straight section to you could cut then tap it out and use some threaded rod to make an adjustable shifter if you so desired. Mine cost me 45 mins worth of work in total.
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Woooooh thanks for the reply there Dan that cleared up a lot of the confusion I had... you're right I guess you were talking about the o-rings that come with the b&m shifter the rubber ones and you are absolutely right it gets in the way to make it fit as part of it sticking out of the hole but i was afraid i needed those rings as it will cause problems over time and with heavy vibration causing problems in the pivot or in the shifter itself ... but i guess if you guys think the rubber o-rings that come with the b&m shifter are more less useless then i'll get rid of them and put on the retainer spring .....Dan i am really afraid of cutting this brand spanking new shifter this is my 4th one i had the original then i went and bought no name ebay one didn't work out too well before it started playing around then i had a protoge custom made one where it was cut to shorten it and re wilded back together and also had short throws now i finally got my b&m shifter and i am afraid of screwing with it specially they envy the fact that's out of aircraft aluminum or something .... u think if i cut it and re-weld it it won't snap like the previous one over time with vibrations :((( wat do you guys think
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I meant cutting the stock one, not the aftermarket, I should have been a little clearer on that for you. The b&M come with o rings for different applications, the mx-3 does not require them. When I weld my shifter I v cut the joints to make for deep penetration, I have never had one of my welds break on something like this and trust me I am very rough on it after I weld to make sure that it will hold. Mine has been like that for about 4 months now and holding strong. As an added FYI lube the whole assembly with some grease/anti seize or plain old vaseline prior to install to make for smoother shifting action.

Return to “Transmissions”