An affordable big brake kit - feeler thread-

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
wytbishop

Re: An affordable big brake kit - feeler thread-

Post by wytbishop »

Is the top caliper bolt still bolted to the stock bolt hole? how much will it cost him to mass produce that aluminum bracket? Was any sort of engineering analysis done on those cap screws?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

wytbishop wrote:Is the top caliper bolt still bolted to the stock bolt hole? how much will it cost him to mass produce that aluminum bracket? Was any sort of engineering analysis done on those cap screws?
Yes.

I don't know.

No.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm sure it's not an issue but if you send me the dimensions of that bracket I can give you an analysis of the stress to make sure it's safe.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I can give you the dimensions, but not sure how soon. The bracket is machined out of steel, not aluminum.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Just an update on my driving impressions...

The feel of these brakes is not even in the same category as stock Mx-3 brakes. I developed the brakes to work with the intention of reducing brake fade and better brake torque. I bought a set of COBALT pads of the XR3 compound. Next, I ran the car at Road Atlanta in July, which is a 2.54 mile road racing course. The difference was unbelievable compared to a stock setup with Hawk blue compound race pads. Zero brake fade, even from 120+mph long straight stops. Brake bias between front and rear is fine. There is no need to upgrade the rear pads or use larger rotors. I would gladly produce more if interest is still there.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I took the car out again (Dec 7th,8th) to Rd. Atl using the Colbalt pads. I drove with the NASA crew and was able to get about 2hrs of driving time. The pads worked incredible with no signs of fading, even after 2hrs of high speed runs from 140mph down to 40mph. The second time at the track, the pads did give out however. I exchanged the Colbalts out for my street pads and noticed one of the inside pads had a chunck missing. The car was still stopping fine though. The rotors had some obvious wear from the pads and slight cracking was noticed but they are still o.k. The calipers performed well and no signs of trouble from the mounting. About 9 months of driving on this setup without any saftey issues so far.. Preparing to drive a close to full season this yr on another set of race pads.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cool. Do you have an estimate of how much you could sell them for?
Your picture looks exactly like what I did to get a bigger disc brake kit to fit on my racing bicycle :)
Last edited by fowljesse on January 10th, 2009, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Dang missed this thread for a while. Hope you do produce more, I for one am very interested :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I could have more produced, but I need for you guys to come up with spare knuckles to be machined. All of my documentation is stashed somewhere with all the costs....I'll have to dig them up. The difference in cost is going to be the rotors being used. If you daily drive, then I would suggest going with a much cheaper rotor. As to which cheap rotor to use, it will have to be close in dimensions to mine. I still need to figure out the options for everyone if interested.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

is it still going down im interested
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Last post was January 12/09. I think this one is dead.

But don't worry...I'm working on it as well.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Justin still pops in here from time to time so he might comment on your request. He has been using the brakes in track events for a couple years and really likes the set-up. Other than the expensive 2 piece rotors it really is a great price for kick-a$4 brakes. I wonder if he has looked at the rotors to see how quickly they are wearing. I know track brake pads will eat some cheap rotors...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Project dropped for other members...No one was interested and I have little time and cash to start investing in this again. BTW, no other Mx-3 stops like mine! :mrgreen:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Is this single piston caliper or dual? Are rotors/pads bigger than factory GS parts?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

mitmaks wrote:Is this single piston caliper or dual? Are rotors/pads bigger than factory GS parts?
They are 4 piston calipers and the rotors are 1" larger than stock.

Return to “New Product Development”