bp race motor build questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

bp race motor build questions

Post by SpatialTerror »

ok so i am building a n/a bp race motor for my mx3. i am currently having all the machine work done right now.
i have wiesco hi-comp fordged pistons with 10.6:1 compression ratio, gtr rods, toga rod bearings, and headers
now i am about to buy some valves, valve springs, keepers, and cams.
my questions so far are about the intake manifold seguested horse power
so i have a gtr intake manifold for a turbo.
would it be better to run that on a n/a setup opposed to the stock manifold.
and what do you think its gonna push bhp wise.
and for my last question.
i was thinking mabye a wet 50 or 70 shot of nos.
just to try to mabye pull a 10 or 11 second 1/4 mile out of it a couple times.
oh and one more question.
i have all the internals from a v6 mx3 trans. now ive herd i could swap all the internals from that trans to the 4banger trans. is this true?
and would i need new hubs if i did that swap?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Evo_Spec

Re: bp race motor build questions

Post by Evo_Spec »

oh ClubProtege they say that the stock BP intake is best for N/A and the GTR intake is best for turbo and GTX intake is crap, so my suggestion is to use the stock intake and sell me the GTR intake =D
-eunos-
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by -eunos- »

talk to K_I_R_K_S from http://www.teameunos.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (australian mx-3 site) he races mx's (eunos 30x's) he may be able to hive you a few pointers...? he's real switched on!
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well eventually down the road im either gonna sell the whole car or just sell the motor. and get either a new head and pistons for the motor. or just buy a new motor and do it out for a turbo. so i wanna keep the manifold.
but i should go with the stock intake manifold.
ok so what would you guys think would be the hp i would be seeing. i also bought a megasquirt. and 600cc injectors.
the guys at the machiene shop said with the way im setting it up they would guess its gonna have about 300bhp.
i was also thinking mabye just getting some itbs for it someday when i have the money.
and will the trans work out?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
SpatialTerror
turpro1993

Post by turpro1993 »

With what you said you're doing I'd say you'll be in the 140-145hp at the crank range.
Gtr intake would hurt you. Vics on the na manifold would be better for you.

660cc injectors? For what? If you're not boosted you don't need aanything more than stock. Throwing the ms and a shot from the bottle maybe some pnp f2t injectors would be good

Gtr rods aren't nessesary for na setups. Stock rod are good for 250hp with a good tune. Plus gtr rods are heavy. I'd opt for some ebay rods this way you'll lighten up almost 100 grams a rod.

So my suggestion is sell the gtr rods and intake manifold, use that money for a lighter st of rods and adjustable cam gears. Hell you'll probably have enough left over to get your crank polished and knife edged. There's really not much you can ddo na on the bp and a small bpt turno setup would be cheaper and give you at least 40 more hp over that na setup. Just my $0.02
1993 Mazda Protege LX soon to be bp-t3 powered
turpro1993

Post by turpro1993 »

Also you'll never hit 10s or 11s on a na setup. With a gtx turbo setup you can grab 13s
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

turpro1993 wrote:Also you'll never hit 10s or 11s on a na setup. With a gtx turbo setup you can grab 13s
Totally agree. When I saw you write 10, 11s 1320s I LOL'd.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well eventually i will be getting a new head, pistons, cams for a turbo setup. thats why i got the injectors. plus i got the megasquirt
but the blocks sleeved, toga bearings and a high volume oil pump so i think ima run the rpm out high around 8 to 10 grand. and when im completely done with the whole shell i will hopefully have removed about 300 lbs.
you have to remember this is a strictly race car.
and i already have adjustable cam gears.
im looking to get a lighter flywheel and crank pulley and such.
plus it will handle a 50 or 70 shot of nos all day.
mabye even a 100 shot.
i just wanna run a 10 or a 11 a couple of times b4 i finish the body. then im either gonna sell it and buy another rs or a protege and do a bpt. or just redo this motor to be a bpt. and do the toyota e153 trans swap on it.
SpatialTerror
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you'd be better off going directly to your turbo build and forget the NA. Keep in mind your tranny probably wont let you pull off an 11 second pass either.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well im almost outa money. i got the parts i want for when i go turbo.
and mabye nitrous. i dont care bout the trans eventually i am getting a toyota e153 trans and installing it. for when i do the turbo.
and when i go turbo i was thinking a garret turbo. cuz i wanna go like 30 psi for a couple runs. then turn it down to like 18psi. and just keeping it to last as a race car.
SpatialTerror
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I don't know for sure, but I'm quite sure that engines under boost don't break because of cyclic stresses... AKA, if you run boost for 1 run, or try for 30 runs, either it will make it or it won't. I'd count on blowing her up. I don't think anyone on here has done 30 PSI, on any build or tune.

For what you're talking about, I don't think you're with the right vehicle.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

i know of 3 people in the local area that have built race proteges. and from what they were telling me they had bp with gtr rods wiesco pistons stock compression. running 27 psi on a g series trans for like 4 runs b4 the trans gave out. thats on slicks.
i believe they were also gonna swap to a toyota e153 trans as well.
im thinking of going with street slicks. because they will burn out a little more in like 1st gear and 2nd gear. to be easier on the trans. until i can get my hands on the toyota trans. i also have a shop that can make me custom drive axles. and half shafts. and i can get a lsd for it. so with the g series and a lsd and custom drive axles where is the weak spot in the drivetrain?
SpatialTerror
turpro1993

Post by turpro1993 »

Therieldeal on clubprotege.com runs a stock gtr motor and turbo with fmic,megasquirt, custom DP and runs high 11s at I think 24psi. Motor is solid but before he did the toyo trans swap he couldn't keep a bp trans solid for very long. Na will never grab 11s unless its a built v6 with itb setup(research 323 klze on youtube or leo323 on clubprotege).
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well ill keep the power down till the trans swap. but i have all the g series internals. so when i take apart my mx3 finally ill swap everything over in the trans. then dont i have to get drive axles. then i got it to where i can finally start saving for the turbo parts, pistons, valves, springs, keepers, and cams.
but ill have a pretty bad little n/a 4 banger till i get the rest of my parts for the motor.
then do the trans swap. anyways for the limited funds i have ive started right.
and i could even mabye then b4 all those parts run nos and mabye do like a high 12 and compete with my buddys turbo crx
and also what about running a turbo at like 4psi on my 10.6:1 compression. just until i could get lower compression pistons.
SpatialTerror
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

10.6:1 can be boosted with a proper tune. And yes, more than 4 psi. Not that I know where to get a 4psi wastegate spring in the first place.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”