KL info

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Posey24
antispam: No

KL info

Post by Posey24 »

So exactly where is that nifty Head stamp I see in the pic on KLZE ID. Do I have to take off the head or can I use a telescopic mirror. There's a few modded 2.5 mazdas here in Vegas I might have a chance cuz it is Vegas. And if I end up with a de cuz Im buying it tomarrow. But....what's this I hear bout de being harder to swap then ZE cuz of sensors? Can anyone point out and solution this prob or point me in the direction. Avian any peeps in or near Vegas wanna help that'd be great. Plus I'm goin to SEMA this year so Ima make some friends in the biz per-say
davmac

Re: KL info

Post by davmac »

DE is not harder then ZE to swap. In some ways DE is easier since the K8 and DE both have EGRs.
Check number of coolant sensors near the coolant fill at front of engine.
You might find DE has 2 but K8 has 3. Your choice is to swap coolant pipes which requires you remove all the components including the timing belt backing plate off the front of the engine. You could also just drill and tap the coolant neck for an extra sensor and swap from the K8.

Buy the DE ecu and VAF
Modify the DE throttle body by cutting the extra throttle linkage at the shaft and swap the K8 throttle linkage to the DE TB.
You'll have to mess around with the throttle cable bracket to adjust the cable length.

Your K8 tranny and clutch will work but eventually you might want something stronger. Same for motor mounts and exhaust.
Most would suggest you replace water pump and timing belt when engine is out because it is easier. But that is up to you. In Vegas you might want to roll the dice and take your chances. You're already betting a salvage yard DE will be better then your worn out K8.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”