need clutch help in southern, georgia. slipping badddd

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mor500589
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

need clutch help in southern, georgia. slipping badddd

Post by mor500589 »

First off I have the 94 1.6dohc 5 speed

The clutch started slipping about a month and a half ago
Now its gotten worse. I picked up a clutch brand new. Tried installing it
Buttt couldn't get the passenger axle nut off (lack of proper tools)
Plus my friends here are all (honda) enthusiasts... then took it to a performance
Shop in jacksonville fl (mpg) they broke the 2 bolts off on the front of the
Crossmember bar, a socket on the axle nut, then gave up..
Now its getting even worse!. No shop around here has experience in
Mx3s so no one wants to touch it for less than about 700$...
I absolutely love my mx3 and will not settle for a common a-- car
*cough* Honda...

I'm wondering if anyone in or around se Georgia xan help me..
-moca has yet to add me as a member or respond to emails either about
Adding me.
1994 Mazda Mx-3 1.6 DOHC {cams, stage 2 LUK clutch, B&M Short throw shifter, headers back straight pipe, GOLF CART MIRROR, Duralast Gold Rotors and Pads, ALL metal Radiator, BOSCH 120 amp Alternator} more TBA ;)

ImageImageImage
mazdags94

Re: need clutch help in southern, georgia. slipping badddd

Post by mazdags94 »

PB Blaster FTW...

Let it sit for days if need be and spray it every few hours.

You might be able to gain access to the tranny just by disconnecting the hub assembly altogether and keeping the axle in it. It just might be easier. (I got away with removing everything but the lower ball joint on my passenger side hub and was able to manuver it enough to slide the shaft out of the tranny). Granted, this was on a V6 but it would be worth a try for you.

Unless your mx has been garaged for the past 17 years, you can expect stuck/broken bolts in many areas in the future unfortunately. Just make sure you grease them up before reinstalling them (I like my high temp grease).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I live in probably one of the worst climates for corrosion. No bolts under my car have come undone without being broken or stripped etc... except for the axle nuts. They came off no problem (with the use of an impact gun)

Make sure that you "un-stake" the nut first. You may or may not know that it's hammered in at one point to prevent it from coming off on its own. You should be able to find somebody with a compressor and impact gun.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

the car I had sat for two years without being driven and one zip with my Ingersol Rand impact gun and those axle nuts spun right off.

Impact gun is almost a necessity with our cars (for the bolts that are stuck and you don't want to break)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I have 4 of these, and have never EVER used an impact, and I live in the same climate as Curtis.

The most extreme was removing the axle nuts on the black GS. 3/4" drive farmer grade ratchet and 6' breaker bar :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

So your options would include getting an impact gun or buying 3/4" drive sockets and huge breaker bars because these axle nuts can be on there pretty good :)

Of course, if your neighbor is a farmer and has tools to work on his equipment, he may have what you need ;)

Return to “Transmissions”