Rotor/Brakepad replacement (first time)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mazdags94

Re: Rotor/Brakepad replacement (first time)

Post by mazdags94 »

The sleeves (what the bolts slide through on each side of the caliper) are prolly seized and don't slide like they should. They have boots over them as well so you can't miss them. If they are stuck, they wont slide in. Your old pads were worn so they wouldnt give you any trouble in sliding back in over the rotor but with new pads, they are thicker so if the sleeves dont move back in, you wont get them to fit. You can either buy a hardware kit for the caliper or a new/reman. caliper.

Check the sleeves and see. You could always remove the caliper, put it in a vise, then tap on the sleeve to free it, then grease it an re-install it. I would say to just replace it but it's up to you.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mrwhite
antispam: No

Post by mrwhite »

Yea I figured it out this morning when I messed around with it
Took a lot of pb blaster and a hammer and a dril but got it moving smooth
Again.

Thanks a lot for the input
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I just had a hell of a time with this, so I thought I'd post up what worked for me.

I had a small pry bar, and I wedged it between the spindle and the rotor, at the top, and I pulled it forward, and rested it against the strut, and held it in place with a ziptie. With that tension on there, I beat the s--- out of it with a hammer, and it came right off. I had spent several hours beating it mercilessly without the extra tension of the prybar, and it wouldn't budge. Honestly, I've ruined the rotor. In all my anger and range I damaged the studs and hub lip a bit too.

Once it was off, I had to beat my axle to a mushroom with a 20 lb sledge before it came out. Good thing its got fubar joints anyway.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

wytbishop wrote:WHOA!!!

The front calipers are one piece! The entire caliper bolts to the mounting tabs on the spindle. The skinny little spring pins hold the rods that mount the pads. The rods may be seized in the caliper but on a pinch you can bend the springs to get them out. Then you can drive the rods out. With the rods out the pads will come out the top of the caliper. Then remove the caliper bolts and the caliper comes off.

You can remove the caliper with the pads in it but it will be easier to get the rods out while the caliper is rigidly supported.

If the caliper is starting to split where you drew that line onyour picture...it's broken. It's not supposed to come apart. At all.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /P-033.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a comment, my front calipers had that same seam. The caliper actually does split into to sections. The outside piece is held in by two (14mm IIRC) bolts. This makes it nice to sandblast and paint them. I thought it was funny at first but take a look at yours, you just may be able to seperate the caliper casting as well ;)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”