help please!!?!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Smashmig
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

help please!!?!

Post by Smashmig »

I recently had a new radio installd in my mx3 after mine was stolen. when i got the car back all the fuses were blown.after replacing all the fuses i went to turn on my ac and nothing happened now none of my vents work(no ac,heat,or fans. Even the partof the dash instruments that controles the air doesnt light up. Any ideas?
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: help please!!?!

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Yes. Get a shotgun, and go pay the guys that did the install a visit. Usually, bigger caliber shotguns work better.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

pretty sure it could be either a plug off, or some wire shorting...
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Yes. Get a shotgun, and go pay the guys that did the install a visit. Usually, bigger caliber shotguns work better.
was it an auto elec you went to..? or some mates...?
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

i got it done at a custom shop and they have since shut down. i tried replacing the blower motor and resitor pulled everything apart to check conection and i couldnt find anything.
Inodoro Pereyra

Start by not replacing any more parts without KNOWING they don't work. Chances are he idiots that screwed up your car did some major hacking into your wiring. So now you have to figure out what they did. So start by looking closely at all the wiring, and find any newly modified wires, connectors, etc. Try to get a wiring diagram for your car. I don't know if the Chilton Manual comes with the wiring diagrams, but either way, it's a good thing to have.
Then, if you have the wiring diagrams, start testing the wires, either with a multimeter or a continuity tester. Once you know all your wiring is right, you can start looking at relays, sensors, etc.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Yes. Get a shotgun, and go pay the guys that did the install a visit. Usually, bigger caliber shotguns work better.

Depending on how technical you want to get, if its revenge I'm after, I'd rather bring a sawn off 8 gauge and be Rambo-Badass than a 20 gauge.

:wink:

Just take a look where they hacked into your wiring, take out the new stuff, and match up the colours. Its always easier to start from scratch with wiring.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

can't see why the business would have folded... lol

sorry man, I find that if you know a friend who has done stero's in cars before, they usually are much cheaper and they usually are pretty flexible... like mwa *points to chest* lol

thats real bad luck... I'd fly ova from Australia to help you out... :-(
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

well i put everything original back in just to see if i missed a connection some where and i found a ground wire bolted to the center console frame behind the radio with a plug on the other end. i couldnt find a place to plug it in and was wondering if it goes to the stock radio?
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

from memory the frame is a s--- earth... you have a multimeter? buy a cheap one... and check the earth of it with the power lead on the new stereo... what brand of stereo? there hasto be a very simple explanation for it.... we'll all kick ourselves when you find the problem...
soo much suspense...
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Sounds like they may have hooked the battery up backwards or at the very least attempted to boost it or another vehicle incorrectly, in which case you can blow most of the fuses, if the fuses were blown and they did not blow when you replaced them that is a good sign, check the engine bay fuses as well see if they any of them are blown, In addition there are relays up under the drivers side of the dash check those see if any are burnt up, sounds like you may have a burnt one as well. By the way depending on where you live what eunos refers to as an earth is what we call a ground. I know that its not super important but proper terminology for the area you live in can help sometimes.
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

Newfie_dan wrote:By the way depending on where you live what eunos refers to as an earth is what we call a ground. I know that its not super important but proper terminology for the area you live in can help sometimes.

I had no idea... lol, thats what we call it in Australia. ha ha...
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

i think im gonna give up and take it somewhere, but while im on here and im thinkinging about it. does anyone know where i can get an 94 mx3(4cylinder) body or a cheap 94 mx3 doesnt have to run. I was rear ended not to long ago and it messed up the whole back end of my car.

thank you all for all of your help so far, and ill let you know any further information that comes up.
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

can you pull out the stereo and take a (high quality) photo of what they have exactly done with the wires...? whilst still connected?
Inodoro Pereyra

Smashmig wrote: does anyone know where i can get an 94 mx3(4cylinder) body or a cheap 94 mx3 doesnt have to run.
Try Craigslist. Or go to your local junkyards. Sometimes you can find cars in almost pristine shape.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

figured it out, felt really stupid... just needed to replace rear wiper fuse.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”