weird issue when running the engine after sitting overnight

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slayer322
antispam: No

weird issue when running the engine after sitting overnight

Post by slayer322 »

hey, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

what the issue is:

If the car sits overnight, and i go to drive away from my house, if i lightly give it gas, so that I'm being quiet, the car bogs, and sounds like its misfiring. But 50 feet down the road after i give it a bit more gas, its fine, and hauls a-- all day / night, until i let it sit overnight. No misfire codes, all fluids are fine / fresh, intake is clear of crap.

The only thing i can think of is that when i was hour-glassing the throttle-body, i nicked the main circular throttle plate, but the car idles fine.

what i'm running:

KLZE w/KL31 cams
cold air intake
brand new NGK plugs
PRD Wires
basically a brand new disty
curve-neck manifold
K8 computer
OBD2

Any ideas?
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
solo_ryder

Re: weird issue when running the engine after sitting overni

Post by solo_ryder »

I had a issue like this once. In my 92 I did a HEI module and everytime the car was cold at some point within driving away it would missfire like a mofo. Once it did that once it would not happen again the whole time I was driving.

My guess would be plug wires. I recently had issues with my PRD wires. I would test the resistance in the wires by taking one end of the probe to each end of the terminals on the plug wires. The readings will be higher for resistance on the longer wires. If you are getting readings over like 12,000 then you proly need new wires.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Does it still happen if you wait a little bit before going, so that it's somewhat warmed up?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
slayer322
antispam: No

Post by slayer322 »

solo_ryder wrote:I had a issue like this once. In my 92 I did a HEI module and everytime the car was cold at some point within driving away it would missfire like a mofo. Once it did that once it would not happen again the whole time I was driving.

My guess would be plug wires. I recently had issues with my PRD wires. I would test the resistance in the wires by taking one end of the probe to each end of the terminals on the plug wires. The readings will be higher for resistance on the longer wires. If you are getting readings over like 12,000 then you proly need new wires.
thanks for that, ill test them out and see what i get
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Does it still happen if you wait a little bit before going, so that it's somewhat warmed up?
havent tried that, usually im in a rush to get to work so i just start and go, which i know i should do but i do anyways lol, ill see what happened s if i warm it up.
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”