Mx3 94, KLZE - Rollercoaster idle & running hot

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
technich

Mx3 94, KLZE - Rollercoaster idle & running hot

Post by technich »

Hey, i got a lil problem, as topic states i have a mx3 94 with a KLZE engine, only mods i got is CAI and HEI + Coil, still using the k8 ecu. I got a stupid problem with my idle, its goes up and down now and then, sometimes it stands still, but not for long. When i hit the gaspedal and just take the foot of it it is close to dying, rpm goes up as it should but then down to 0 and slowly climb up and starts swinging between 1000 and 500 rpm.

One thing i have not done is removed old coil from the distributor, some say it has to be done, other says hell no. so i left it, i cut the nipple off tho and put som silicone there instead.

tried setting higher idle, but it will still behave the same.

and btw i have not yet put in the probinator chip, does it matter?

Anyone got any advice to share?

Thanks
Last edited by technich on July 11th, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice_mann
antispam: No

Re: Mx3 94, KLZE - Rollercoaster idle

Post by ice_mann »

I just had to fix the same issule with my klze, look for a vacuume leak somewhere. After I found the leak in mine and fixed it, the idle is as steady as a rock.
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
technich

Post by technich »

ok, might as well change to some funky colored hoses and hope that will be enough :)
Thanks!
davmac

Post by davmac »

Bouncing or surging idle can be air or sometimes coolant related. Look for:
- Vacuum leak
- Unmetered air entering intake
- Coolant temp sensor is bad (one that sends to the ECU) or air in coolant because it is low or leaking
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

No sence in replacing something that dosen't need to be replaced, if there is a vacuume leak its usually in the "accordian" looking hose. Spray some TB cleaner or something on the hoses and look for bubbling.
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Slim Fans
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Check your IAC as well, mine had thesame problem and with replacing this parts it was solved.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

ice_mann wrote:No sence in replacing something that dosen't need to be replaced, if there is a vacuume leak its usually in the "accordian" looking hose. Spray some TB cleaner or something on the hoses and look for bubbling.
vacuum leaks will not appear as bubbling as it will suck the tb cleaner into the leak not force air our which is what would be needed to make it bubble.
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

Oops... :oops: blonde moment...lol

WTB
coilovers
Slim Fans
technich

Post by technich »

I think i got all hoses at the right places etc, but when i think about it im a little unsure where the IAC hoses should connect. Help appreciated, will also see if i can find some good thread about it.

I took it for a spin yesterday and noticed the car started to get hot after ~30min, started boiling, could these problems be related somehow?
Cause they kinda started the same time, gonna replace the rad cap today to make sure it keeps pressure.

Thanks for the response!
technich

Post by technich »

UPDATE: had to check the IAC at my coffee break, and without it the car ran like cr*p, so that means the IAC is ok i assume.
I do think i heard a hissing sound close to the VRIS, check the hoses around there and they seemed fine, also the canister and the Purge hoses seems OK.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Only 13 posts since 2006, we're you hibernating or something?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
technich

Post by technich »

Hehe, no i've just havent had the time to deal with it, felt an sudden urge to get it running again, it aint doing any good just standing in the garage :)
technich

Re: Mx3 94, KLZE - Rollercoaster idle & running hot

Post by technich »

I think i could have connected a coolant hose wrong, i just noticed i installed the hose going to the water reservoir into a small metal pipe right under the distributor. That hose should be on top of the radiator i assume, on the small nipple. but where should this small metal pipe go to then?

Thanks!
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

not the metal pipe on the valve cover behind the disty is it? Image

the online manuals have vacuum diagrams that should help ya get it figured out.
technich

Post by technich »

I will take a picture after work, its the same as this guy i assume, but never got answered, well, ill be back with a pretty picture in a few hours.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”