Changing MAF in K8ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mazda Dave
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Changing MAF in K8ZE

Post by Mazda Dave »

Hi all I took my induction off to see the VAF inside and looks a good restriction with the size of it.

I have a MAF from my Mazda Lantis 2.0 V6 with the code B6BF on it I currently have the JE50 Vaf on

Is there a way to change these over as the MAF looks better for air flow

The MAF I want to put on

Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Changing MAF in K8ZE

Post by Daninski »

Check the resistence values other wise the ECU will get wrong numbers.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mazda Dave
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mazda Dave »

How do I go about getting they readings? just with a volt meter, and if there is a gain to be made should the reading be higher or lower or do they have to be spot on
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

spot on i do say
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I'm no electrics pro, but AFAIK the VAF is just a potentiometer. The air pushes the plastic cone, the further the cone goes the more/less restistance. The ECU calculates how much air is coming in using that resistance value. For this swap to work, your MAF needs to put out the same resistance values in relation to the air across the range. It's probably unlikely the resistance max and min will be the same, even at that the curve of air/resistance may not match. The other issue is whether the MAF contains the IAT sensor and whether it's values also match the JE50 VAF's inbuilt IAT. The IAT value is also part of the required fuel formula.

I'd guess you'd need to swap the lantis loom and ecu to pull this off. In which case you may as well be running the eco megasquirt, with a map sensor, and no restriction. But hey, it's worth investigating! Set your multimeter to resistance and see how they compare. Actuate the cone, record max and min and the equivalent for the MAF.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”