Does this sound normal?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
korpit
antispam: No

Re: Does this sound normal?

Post by korpit »

You are most likely going to throw a rod. When you change your oil, it would be a good idea to drop the pan and if you see shavings, you know what is happening. You san try a flexible magnet if you do not want to drop the pan through the drain hole. The shavings are usually to heavy to come out with just draining the oil and I do not believe that any MX-3 have a magnetic plug.. The metal on metal sound you hear could be that. The shavings in mine were too large to come out the drain hole.
wreckedgs
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wreckedgs »

korpit wrote:You are most likely going to throw a rod. When you change your oil, it would be a good idea to drop the pan and if you see shavings, you know what is happening. You san try a flexible magnet if you do not want to drop the pan through the drain hole. The shavings are usually to heavy to come out with just draining the oil and I do not believe that any MX-3 have a magnetic plug.. The metal on metal sound you hear could be that. The shavings in mine were too large to come out the drain hole.
they were to large to pull out of mine as well, when i dropped the pan though it was a horrid sight
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

new video: http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab34 ... V01346.mp4

with the car warm the chirping is alot louder. its somewhere near the disty. as for the metal "sliding" noise its alot more noticable at medium rpms. it sounds like the gears inside are rubbing on something or something like that... almost like there not being lubricated very well. its not a smooth sounding rev youd expect to hear

random question... should the exhaust be moist/humid? if i put my hand over the exhaust pipe it gets really clamy/damp fairly quickly?
wreckedgs

Post by wreckedgs »

mikeinaus wrote:new video: http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab34 ... V01346.mp4

with the car warm the chirping is alot louder. its somewhere near the disty. as for the metal "sliding" noise its alot more noticable at medium rpms. it sounds like the gears inside are rubbing on something or something like that... almost like there not being lubricated very well. its not a smooth sounding rev youd expect to hear

random question... should the exhaust be moist/humid? if i put my hand over the exhaust pipe it gets really clamy/damp fairly quickly?

that does not sound good at all....is the car overheating at all?
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

nope runs fine other then the noise
wreckedgs

Post by wreckedgs »

hmm... still think it sounds like its gonna toss a rod...as for the chirp, im not sure, maybe solo knows

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”