Please I need your help ! (Watch the vid please).

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dicica
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Please I need your help ! (Watch the vid please).

Post by dicica »

Hello everybody;
My name is Diego, I'm Brazilian, and where I always been a part of the community of Mx-3 owners in Brazil.
I had a 1.6 4 cylinder until four days ago, but traded for a 1.8 mx3 V6. I'd like you to understand that in Brazil a Mazda 1.6 4 cylinder costs on average US$ 8,000 and a V6 on average US$ 13,000, because our government fees are too high. So I changed my 1997 key by key in a mx3 1992 1.8 V6, but I will have to reform all of it because the paint is horrible, and I have to do some maintenance as well.
I beg you guys such all the community to help me with some doubts about a little noise that the V6 is doing in the engine, and please help me find the parts I'll need such as in Brazil are very expensive and almost impossible to find.
I wish some of you look at this video I made and tell me what may be the noise.
Thank you! And I'm really sorry about the english !
Thanks again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x28Y_2tGkgw
(I already changed the batery) ! hehe
Please guys help me !
Newfie_dan

Re: Please I need your help ! (Watch the vid please).

Post by Newfie_dan »

Well first things first I would do a good tune up namely plugs, plug wires fuel and air filters and a pcv valve. Then check the condition of the oil, might need a good oil change or 2 to get some of the crud out. The sound in the vid is not really the clearest but it sounds like hydraulic lash adjusters or hla noise. Its common on the v6 and the only real way to get rid of it is to clean them out, that can be done with a good synthetic oil and some engine flush like seafoam. The other option is to remove them and clean them putting them back where they came from but that means removing the cam shafts. If it is the hlas then it should go away when the engine gets warmed up or at least it usually does.
valk1317

Post by valk1317 »

sounds like my wifes car, and this other person i met at a car show. seafoam will fix that? might have to try it.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

Well first things first I would do a good tune up namely plugs, plug wires fuel and air filters and a pcv valve. Then check the condition of the oil, might need a good oil change or 2 to get some of the crud out
X2

seafoam is great. it might not fix it but it will definitely clean out the crap in your motor. put half the can down the intake then the other half in the oil after you change it. injector cleaner or seafoam in the gas tank is a good idea too.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, it sounds like bad HLAs. How many miles are on it? Does it always idle that high?
I agree that you should do a full tune-up, seafoam, and oil change, then post a video of what it sounds like.
There is a good Brazilian MX-3 community. You can find them by doing a search on this site.
Good luck :)
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Yeah it could be the HLAs but it sounds worse I think, maybe even a bad tensioner?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I was thinking tensioner, too, but I don't think it would cause that miss in the exhaust.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
dicica

Post by dicica »

The thing is..I changed the oil 4 days ago, the engyne oil and also the gear oil too !
So now, when I turn it on there's almost no noise, but when get's warm...it starts the tec tec tec...
I do think is the hydraulic thing that u'r saying...here in brazil we call it "tucho", but I'm afraid to take it out cause, ther's 24 of them...but maybe I'll try it...other thing is, where I can found that Seaflush ? I should put it on the engyne ? Jst like oil ?
I'm a member of the MX-3 community here in Brazil, but there's almost no V6 on the market here 95% of the mazdas mx-3 here are 1.6, so is a very rare exemplar of it. Its a 1992 1.8 V6 SE...(I guess), and have 111.200Km already, I guess its not so bad for a 18 Years car !
I'll try everything to put it back on the streets, this for me is a unique car...be sure all of you will be very very helpfull for me.
Thanks so much. (if is the hydraulic stuff, how should I clean them ?)
:welder: Overhaulin my mx-3 ! XD
davmac

Post by davmac »

Dicica – If you use Seafoam in the crankcase you want to add only about 250ml just like adding oil. Then you run the engine for a short time. Maybe idle for about 20 minutes or drive about 10 km and return to change your oil. You don’t want to run too long with the seafoam in the oil because it will thin the oil. Some people have found it does a good job cleaning the engine including the HLAs (hydraulic lash adjusters), but I’m not sure it will fix your problem. You might get equal cleaning if you changed oil every 2400 km for 2 – 3 times.

I haven’t listened to your video yet, but noise similar to HLA ticking is sometimes from the cam friction gear spring. The parts are not too expensive but somewhat challenging to replace. Keep in mind that the cam friction gear issue causes noise but does not harm the engine. So repair is only if you can’t stand the noise. Here are a couple of the best links about the cam friction spring replacement:
Here on MX-3
And a good link on MX6 forum
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
dicica

Post by dicica »

Thank you very much for that ! I guess I'm going to try the seafoam first...Im not sure if can be the oil bomb as well, cause if the problem starts when the car is warm, can be the oil pressure i guess...
Anyone can find the seafoam for me ? In a website or buy it and I pay with paypal ?
I was truing to find seafoam here, and all I could find is answers about how escape from "seafoam pokemon island lol"...
Guys u're great, I hope my mx-3 will be good in 6 months !
Thanks so much again !
PS: I'm going to make another video, but now with the warm angyne...so you guys can answer me wtf is that noise !
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you can't find Seafoam, you can use Kerosene (look up Kerosene flush). You can also use extremely thin engine oil, the thinnest you can find, and drive very lightly, if at all. You shouldn't need to take the HLAs apart. You could ask at your local parts store if they have an engine flush like Seafoam.
Good luck getting off Seafoam island!
zackqw

Post by zackqw »

Newfie_dan wrote: The sound in the vid is not really the clearest but it sounds like hydraulic lash adjusters or hla noise. Its common on the v6 and the only real way to get rid of it is to clean them out, that can be done with a good synthetic oil and some engine flush like seafoam.

WOW.... Hydraulic Lash Adjusters?... never hurd that before.. im in spokane wa and we call HLA's Lifters.. kinda like u guys call distributors Disty's.. we call them dizzys.. its amazing but also so confusing trying to understand whos talking about what lol. BUT! A++++ On seafoam!!!! but seafoam is mainly to get rid of any bad gas or bad oil thats been sitting to long.. try a can of engine restore.. i used to burn 2 qts of oil a week in my honda.. used a big can of engine restore in the oil, let it run for about an hour (Driving) and went to half a qt a week.. (Bad rings) but yeah i will agree sounds like your lifters.. i mean HLA's lol..
korpit
antispam: No

Post by korpit »

If you do the sea foam or kerosene thing, you should remove the oil pan when you drain it if your engine mileage is high. You will have a lot of crud in your pan, in fact, more than the drIn plug opening will allow out and enough to plug the oil pump intake and your noise will get real loud. Detergents of any kind will not usually fix engine noise. They are great for cleaning. You may have to replace the lifter. You can isolate the noise with a stethoscope or screwdriver

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”