Spark Plugs, rotor and cap for 1996 1.8 V6?!?!?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitchell_jarvis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Spark Plugs, rotor and cap for 1996 1.8 V6?!?!?

Post by mitchell_jarvis »

Alright so heres the deal, i washed my motor down degreased it and what not. now the car doesnt run like it did before hand, spitting and boggy at times and check engine like was on and did flash at times, but now its off and runs okay but sometimes my car with seem to lose and gain powere off and on. and if it sits the idling it will bounce from 1000rpms to about 380rpms.

another thing, when i call up shops looking for plugs and wires, rotor and cap ect. for my 1996 mazda mx3 they say they dont have a listing for the 1.8 V6 engine. can anyone tell me why this is? and are the 1.8 engines in the older years the same?

thanks
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Spark Plugs, rotor and cap for 1996 1.8 V6?!?!?

Post by mikeinaus »

yes 1.8 motor are the same for all years. water has obiviously gotten somewhere. let it dry for a day and see how it runs tomorrow. your disty could be on its way out thow. solo_ryder had similar problem after washing his car and i think he had to replace the disty. could also be a vacuum leak. check and make sure you didnt knock and hoses or sensors loose when you were cleaning.
mitchell_jarvis

this happened a few days ago and it drive much better now then it did the other day, but at times it still bounces on the RPMs while idling, think it could just be a worn out plug wire or plugs?

and thanks alot, so if i orders 1994 plugs they woud fit my 1996?
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

The problem with finding parts is that they are using an American catalogue. Ask for 94 and magically they have everything. My buddy works at Canadian tire. Same problem. 94 has everything. 96 has nothing. Funny how that works.
mitchell_jarvis

ya i know, cause i asked them what year tdo they have the plugs for and they said 1994 and same witht he disty and rotor and cap, question still stands, all will fit?
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

as for plug wires get a msd universal kit for 6cylinder or 8 cylinder (have 2 spares) use the guide 1/2 the way down on this page to make them work properly http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are the best wires you can get and there pretty cheap. i got 8 for $65cad...

most parts should be the same for 94 to 96. however you are obd2 so some ensors/electical parts may be different. test new plugs/wires before you replace the disty as there pretty expensive new. theres also a hei blaster coil mod for the distys that make them alot more durable id look into if i were you.
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

Yes they will work.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check for water in the spark plug wells and remove the disty cap and check for water there. Different years have different wire orders on the cap so follow what the cap says. My 96 was not the same order as my 92. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”