WIERD kl de/ze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

WIERD kl de/ze

Post by eunosklde »

hey guys just swapped my k8 for a KL 2.5 in my 92 mazda mx3.The thing is its like its a cross between a klze and a klde.Iis got the longneck with big squre runners but no kl31 cams.its got the stadard kl101 heads but has flat top pistons just like a klze.The mechanic evan gave me the import papers for it true jap spec.Goes harder then my friends klze mx3.im running the k8 ecu and KL02 vaf.The mechanic said its from a jdm mazda 626 and that t used KL101 heads for emissions reasons..Dont know if any of you guys have seen or heard of a KL hybrid like this..THANX FOR ANY HELP YOU PPZ GIVE ME..
hppwdn

Re: WIERD kl de/ze

Post by hppwdn »

Post some pics, that would help a lot.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If it was originally a curved neck it wouldn't have the cams would it. The curved neck and the straight neck ZE both had the same HP just developing the power at different ranges with the curved neck powering up in a lower RPM range.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
4gethonda

Post by 4gethonda »

sounds like a usdm ZE (mazda millenia motor)

which comes with the curved neck and someone could have just swapped it for a straight neck and told you it was a ZE cause the will still have the same stampings as ze heads
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

The hybrid (millenia) ZE is usually ZE heads with DE pistons & cams. That's probably what you have.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ive seen this engine in a 626 before. A friend of mine has one. its a klde.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx for your help guys in finding out its just a KLDE.Just one more thing im still runing the K8 ecu and KL02 vaf.Whats the best KL ecu to use with the KL02 vaf and longneck intake.i know not to run the KL31 and KL36 ecu and i need somthing like a KL01/KL07.Whats the best combo for the KLDE longneck.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

eunosklde wrote:Thanx for your help guys in finding out its just a KLDE.Just one more thing im still runing the K8 ecu and KL02 vaf.Whats the best KL ecu to use with the KL02 vaf and longneck intake.i know not to run the KL31 and KL36 ecu and i need somthing like a KL01/KL07.Whats the best combo for the KLDE longneck.
Whats the block code number on the motor? Look on the back PS of the motor above the powersteering pump. If its over 500,000 or 600,000 then its probably just one of them newer ZE's from a millenia with 9.5:1 compression. I had that motor in my last ZE and it was tough as nails and was very quick. I ran a KL01 ecu and KL02 VAF on it. You should run that combo as well or you can run a kl31/kl36 ecu as that is what is used for the straight neck mani and a JE50 VAF and that should work nicely even with your KL01 cams and KL01 heads.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

thanx solo-ryder and pps you guys are champs.The engine papers says KL814*** dont know if you can tell us whitch series KL its from that.I ran the JE50 with the K8 ecu at the start and it ran reel rougth there was no powerband felt like the engine was dying after 4000 rpm.I was only getten around 240 ks out of a tank of gas since i put on the KL02 vaf i get 310 still low but the engine feels alot smoutha.the KL02 VAF and KL01 ECU shoud be the key like you said.Dont the KL31/KL36 JE50 combo act the same as a K8 JE50 combo combo.Sorry about all the questions just dont wonna keep swapping cumpters over.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

K8 ecu will cause issues as it is not used to the engine size and intake mani.. Run a KL01 ecu or a KL31/kl36, you will see it will run alot better.

That casting number is very high, it is almost undoubtedly a newer KLZE motor with the newer style pistons (similar to hemi pistons actually) with 9.5:1 and DE heads and cams... Tough fricken motor that pulls hard and wont let you down or drop valves. I would treat it as a regular KLZE with straight neck IM and run a KL31 or 36 with JE50 to get the right combo.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx solo-ryder,Il try the KL31/36 JE50 combo throu the weeks comeing and let you know how i go.Thanx for all your help.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Just one more thing how many KW do this KL make.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Just ran a KL28 aus/spec ecu and KL02 vaf felt reel flat throw the power band no power.Soon as i ran the K8 ecu and KL02 vaf again,big difference goes throw the powerband alot quicker and heaps more power.Didnt bother trying the KL28 je50 vaf combo.Finding it hard to get a KL31 ecu or even KL01 ecu in australia.Thinking of leaving the corrent setup the way it is.Goes hard,just abit down on fuel economy..Goes on the dyno in two weeks,what whp should i look for.
lerutis

Post by lerutis »

Nice, i have this Engine aswell, its from a MAzda Xedos ( Europe ) -95.

I'm running this with my K8 ECU which already has a chip from SKN-TUNING in germany, not sure what they've done to it but the engine runs ok and with a JE50 VAF.

My guess its a bit rich since my fuel economy is real bad on it, but i almost got it thru the emission tests which is very wierd :P

Only thing at the moment is a few millisec lagg on the throttle, dno if its the ecu causing it and it will prob pull alot harder with the correct ecu.

Just about to get a Probinator chip into my k8 ECU, if that does not work good im also waiting for a KL31/36 ECU.

Let me what you find out!
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Hey guys found out the KL i got is a 170hp KLDE-G4 from a mazda 626 98-2002 series.It ant a KLZE but at least its stronger internally then other KLDE and KLZE's engines.Thanx for the help..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”