I wasted my money. please help me.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Vanished

I wasted my money. please help me.

Post by Vanished »

Short sweet history.

KLZE, custom intake, wires and vacume tubes hangin all over the place, and the only one danglin is the EGR one. I have a chipped ecu.

Took the car to work, half way there (just about at opperating temp) and when i give it gas, the car just bogs RIGHT down. Let off the gas, and I can go a steady speed, then give it more gas and the RPMS slowly go down. Let off, car stalls. Can't even start it? Thought forsure it was fuel related.

Took it to ceritguard, they checked the fuel pressure and it still had plenty of pressure when it stalled. They pulled the codes, just the EGR codes, an 02, and a knock (from stalling, obv) and the bitches charged me 100 bucks. Well thanks. Also the TPS doesn't have smooth resistance when turning the throttle...?? maybe this is the problem

Another thing to note: The disty cap has no gasket, however I used silcone on it (yeah i know) and replaced the rotor. Cap is in healthy shape but i'm going to replace it, and spark plugs. I will report back. I also do not have any spash guards on the bottom of my car. It was a warm, sunny day, so if there is water anywhere it should be dried up by know. Gas is premium, from Shell, tank is a third full.

Any ideas guys?!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
tehbrookzorz

Re: I wasted my money. please help me.

Post by tehbrookzorz »

You sure the knock code is from stalling? The knock sensor code will pull timing and hurt performance if the ECU has a bad signal , AFAIK.
Cody
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

no other codes?

stalls/bogs like that can be pretty much anything. Need to figure out a bit more info.

could be fuel, but you pretty much ruled that out, and honestly, with these, its rarely fuel.

could be intake leaks, thats very common. Give it a check over and a listen. I find most of them by sound. next is propane.

could be electrical. check your alt/battery

could be distributor. got a spare?

could be the timing jumped, but leave that for last. Its a PITA to check.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

i had this simular issue in all three of my 3's.
GS: it needed a disty
SE: spark plugs
SE again: cracks/leaks in the accordian hose
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

When it happened to my stock GS it was the disty.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

you have 1800 posts but you paid 100 dollars to pull codes.. what's wrong with this picture?

if your car bogs down, dies and won't start again 9 out of 10 it's the distributor. why wouldn't you check for spark at least before assuming it's fuel related?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

[quote="Vanished"]Short sweet history.half way there (just about at opperating temp) and when i give it gas, the car just bogs RIGHT down. Let off the gas, and I can go a steady speed, then give it more gas and the RPMS slowly go down. Let off, car stalls. Can't even start it? Thought forsure it was fuel related.quote]

When you gave it gas that caused the problem initially, giving it gas increases vaccum right so I'd be looking at your hoses like the accordion hose for a vac leak. You never learned to jump TEN and Gnd to pull your codes?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

if it was just a vac leak he'd at least be able to fire up again, it would just die right away.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

dizzy dizzy dinosaur! Exactly what my old red beast did when the disty died. Thought you might get a code though..
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

He has a custom intake...prob ditched that accordion...?
My 2c
I had major stalling problems with my ZE a year or so ago. Timing seemed to be set, so I did EVERYTHING I could think of, esp with disty. It would start most of the time but always bog bigtime with any attempt to accelerate. Finally ripped her out for a head rebuild and found a timing belt tensioner had gone bad. Solved it all.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
4gethonda

Post by 4gethonda »

no code no start and car just cranks

ill almost put money thats its the disty, when isnt it

i havent herd a story yet were the car dies and just cranks and no codes are throwin and its the disty replace that and be done with it
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

if your in town vanished give me a shout or pm I will take a look at it with you see if we can't figure it out.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

ninjajim4 wrote:you have 1800 posts but you paid 100 dollars to pull codes.. what's wrong with this picture?
HAH...
Yeah ok.
I took it in to get the fuel pressure checked, I don't have the equipment for it. But thanks anyway. They pulled the codes as a part of the diagnostic, I've pulled codes way to many times.

Also: I do have a custom intake. No leaks. They checked that at the shop. I'm going to replace the plugs, disty cap, and if that doesn't work I'll see if i can't score a disty from somebody here in the city. I'm gone for the weekend, and going to vegas next week, so I'll might not get er fixed for a little while yet. Thanks for all the advice tho!

By the way, I can still drive the thing, it just bogs hard and keeps dying. If it's cold, it doesn't bog at all until it's been running for a few minutes.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

yeah sounds like disty to me I will see if I have a spare in the garage vanished if I do I will pm ya you can come and pick it up.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I won the jackpot in vegas and bought a Lotus and gave away the mx-3 to the crushers.

Kidding. Anyway, replaced the disty cap and rotor, works like a charm!! Thanks for the help!

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”