Ford Probe GT oil pressure guage?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Ford Probe GT oil pressure guage?

Post by fowljesse »

Has anyone hooked up a Probe oil pressure guage to their MX-3?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
TMeadows
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Ford Probe GT oil pressure guage?

Post by TMeadows »

aftermarket autometer... you can pick one up for around $50-$60. A small piece of aluminum, a drill and a hole saw you can make a gauge panel that fits in your ash tray spot.

similar to this...

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_imag ... _large.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

TMeadows wrote:aftermarket autometer... you can pick one up for around $50-$60. A small piece of aluminum, a drill and a hole saw you can make a gauge panel that fits in your ash tray spot.

similar to this...

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_imag ... _large.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats funny, thats what I have planned for mine, I even have the tach in place already :mrgreen:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Holy gauges and stuff! Very nice. The reason I asked is because I read that the sending unit hole is metric, and the aftermarket ones are threaded standard. I didn't want to have to use an adapter, if I didn't have to. What did you do, exactly?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

I don't know about all gauges, but autometers usually come with everything you need to install them including the sending unit.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, and what I've read is that the sending units are threaded SAE, while ours are Metric, so I'd need an adaptor.
Is there one that is Metric?
Also, I'm leaning toward a mechanical one that would be set into the wiper cowl.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

You don't need an adaptor for the autometer sending unit. It's a graduated thread and goes right into the stock oil pressure sender location. Just don't over tighten, if you tighten it too much you will crack the housing on your oil filter housing. As long as you do it right, you'll never have any leaks or issues.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cool! Thanks for the info :)
+
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

hppwdn wrote:You don't need an adaptor for the autometer sending unit. It's a graduated thread and goes right into the stock oil pressure sender location. Just don't over tighten, if you tighten it too much you will crack the housing on your oil filter housing. As long as you do it right, you'll never have any leaks or issues.
Forgot to add some teflon tape!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I always use the Teflon on pressurized stuff! Well, except spark plugs, of course.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Usually tapered threads on the sending unit so it should seal without tape. Also the ground for the sending unit is through the threads into the block. So too much tape will actually cause more problems. A little tape won't hurt.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Good to know. I'll thread it in, and see where it stops, and just thread the last little bit, just in case.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I put one on my Xterra and I used adaptors at the sending unit. It was recommended to use an adapter especially when threading into the block (I tapped into where the factory sensor is) as to not cross-thread it. My metric Xterra uses a BSPT thread, but the sending unit uses a NPT thread...the difference is only 1 thread per inch, so you can make them work.

We didn't actually use Teflon tape either but an adhesive designed to do the same thing but it don't isolate the sensor exactly as Davmac said, since it's a 1-wire sensor and needs to ground to the block
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”