got a garrett GT2256V for free

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Mariob316
antispam: No

got a garrett GT2256V for free

Post by Mariob316 »

My mechanic at work gave me a garrett GT2256V, it comes from dodge sprinter. He said it works perfectly and the reason he gave it to me is because the sprinter needed a new transmission so they just scrapped it.

The info about the turbo

Garrett GT2256V
Compressor
Wheel Inducer: 40.3mm
Wheel Exducer: 56mm (51.8 Trim)
Housing Inlet: 60mm
Housing Outlet: 35mm
.53 A/R

Turbine
Wheel Inducer: 49.4mm (est.)
Wheel Exducer: 41.7mm
.64 A/R

I've heard of ppl swapping this in their tdi, so i was wondering if i have any use for it in my mx?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: got a garrett GT2256V for free

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

kinda small.

Any turbo can work with any car. Getting it to fit... and if it should fit, is what you have to figure out.

It's a good start to a turbo project, just need a few more thousand and a couple hundred hours of wrench time and you're there.
Mariob316
antispam: No

Post by Mariob316 »

Well he said he could give me all the piping for it if i wanted it. Thanks for the reply, ill keep it in my garage till i find time for it
TMeadows
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by TMeadows »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:kinda small.

Any turbo can work with any car. Getting it to fit... and if it should fit, is what you have to figure out.

It's a good start to a turbo project, just need a few more thousand and a couple hundred hours of wrench time and you're there.
wrong! all wrong!

You have to be resourceful and have some degree of mechanical ability. I custom fitted a Mitsubishi 16G turbo to my BP powered MX-3 in 10 hours, from time in to time out. Traded my super afcII for a old (and i do mean old) Haltech standalone. Total cost in build = less than $3000 USD (Car included) That gave me around 300 whp at full boost. I put the car on the dyno the next weekend if im not mistaken and it put down 198 hp and 211 ft lbs of torque at only 7psi still (was still on the super AFC)
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

Mariob316 wrote:Well he said he could give me all the piping for it if i wanted it. Thanks for the reply, ill keep it in my garage till i find time for it
If you only plan on running low boost you can use full rubber intercooler piping. I cut out my inner fender and mounted a stock eagle talon side mount in mine when I did it. More than enough for the smaller turbos. The manifold is going to be the hardest part for you unless you have a welder and some spare metal laying around.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

TMeadows wrote:
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:kinda small.

wrong! all wrong!

You have to be resourceful and have some degree of mechanical ability. I custom fitted a Mitsubishi 16G turbo to my BP powered MX-3 in 10 hours, from time in to time out. Traded my super afcII for a old (and i do mean old) Haltech standalone. Total cost in build = less than $3000 USD (Car included) That gave me around 300 whp at full boost. I put the car on the dyno the next weekend if im not mistaken and it put down 198 hp and 211 ft lbs of torque at only 7psi still (was still on the super AFC)
I've done an all custom Mitsu Big 16G on my b6.. about 8 psi, no where near done the tune. Maybe 170hp as per my butt dyno. Many thousands invested.
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

I did 198hp 211 tq at psi on a small 16 boosted bp

all old used junk parts by the way
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

Actually I lied, I checked my cardomain.com page to verify I had the numbers correct and I didnt.

The car dynoed 189.8 hp and over 202.6 ftlbs of torque at only 6 pounds of boost
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

quality parts make or break any build. You can do it correct, or quick. Up to you.
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

If you want to throw thousands of dollars into a engine that doesn't need the upgrades that is your choice. However, I know for a fact that the factory b6/bp internals are golden up over 300 whp if properly tuned. As far as everything else, just because a part is used doesn't mean it isn't quality. I know a guy who set several local track records with the "old junk" all of the other teams were throwing away. My point is, it isn't the parts you use as much as the manner in which they are utilized.

I guess I have a different outlook than most people. The way I see it, anybody can buy a bunch of parts and slap them on their car. Where as I would prefer to take a bunch of used/spare parts, do a little customizing, slap them together and still outperform those spending thousands of dollars.

Performance does not have to be a long drawn out expensive adventure. With a little intellect and elbow grease you can work through a build in no time with substantial results.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I agree with you.
My internals are stock, my injectors are used (cleaned and flow tested). -Other than that, I want new and quality parts. You can use JY parts for some of this. But, you need to know what you are looking for. 99.999999% of people have no idea what they need or how they work.

Anyone can buy parts and slap them on. Or anyone can go to a JY and pull crap... to later slap them on. You sir are a bad consumer and have single handedly caused the US economy issues.

A clean engine bay, fear of dirty junk-yard people and a slightly larger wallet, pointed me in my build direction.
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:You sir are a bad consumer and have single handedly caused the US economy issues.
I ruined the US economy by choosing not to support foreign businesses?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

lol, it's just a joke man.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

I still think the best piece I read on here is

fast
cheap
reliable

pick 2