STICKY THROTTLE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
korpit
antispam: No

STICKY THROTTLE

Post by korpit »

On hotter days like today, my throttle is sticking open and idling high. The strange thing is that I can reduce my rpm by placing my foor under my gas pedal, I can reduce the RPM. I have recently changed the engine and this problem carried over, so all engine sensors are different. This problem is unrelated to my other post regrading idle. Any one else ever encounter this?
mazdags94

Re: STICKY THROTTLE

Post by mazdags94 »

Check your throttle cable. If the problem occurred before the swap, that's what I would suspect. Check for frays, rust, cracks, etc. You could even check your pedal to see if it needs to be adjusted (rust or corrosion could cause the pedal to stick). The throttle isn't electronically controlled so it wont be a sensor issue.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
korpit

Post by korpit »

I hear what you are saying but the cable would be a problem all the the time and not just hot days ..any other suggestions?
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

dirty throttlebody? was it carried over?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

korpit wrote:I hear what you are saying but the cable would be a problem all the the time and not just hot days ..any other suggestions?
If lifting the accelerator pedal up brings the idle back to normal, it is obviously a mechanical issue...

And why would you refer to "your either post about idle" without linking to it?? Nobody knows what post you're talking about...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
korpit

Post by korpit »

Throttle body was not carried over. The reason I am thinking it is not mechanical is because it does not happen all the time, just hot days.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I had the exact same problem with my car, unfortunately I never solved it because every time I had a chance to look at it, it would work perfectly fine. But I do remember some older threads regarding this issue. Check out this thread:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53914

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”