Engine wont Start

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Engine wont Start

Post by Ryan »

Why?

Are you on crack?

The distributor follows the rotation of the engine. The most you'll get it off is a few degrees by turning the disty, and the motor runs like 20 degrees off in either direction.

If your timing was that off you'd KNOW because you'd have serious backfire issues. If it doesn't even WANT to start, timing is NOT your problem. Check for spark, fuel, and air. It seems like you're totally guessing, which is, I suppose your choice, even if its a poor one.

If you have fuel, spark, and air, next up is the quantities. the car starts with open throttle body, so air is never a no start. take off your timing coves and ensure that the marks line up, and the cams spin with the motor. Check to make sure its not flooding itself, or injectors aren't sticking open....

Quit playing with your distirbutor, unless you're going to troubleshoot it electronically, or make sure the plugs are on tight.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

sounds to me like you didnt clean the grease off good enough. and did you take your distributor off completely? if so you might have it on backwards.
im not an expert.
but i know how to build a motor and make it run.
and that could be your problem
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

my tips:

1. make sure there is NO grease on the contacts. any part that is supposed to conduct electricity should NOT have grease on it.. make sure it's not in the spark plug wells or anywhere that could prevent spark.

2. Listen to Ryan. He's helped me a crap-ton with stuff and I would trust his knowledge.
money_greenmx3

Post by money_greenmx3 »

I did not take the distributor out completely just moved the position and i will try to get new wires
thnks for the help
money_greenmx3

Post by money_greenmx3 »

Mechanic did not end up coming too busy so i kept on checking wat you told me again and to my surpirise the firing order was incorrect, the order that us given in the manual is wrong if you look on the distributor cap you will see a small 1 which shows you which is plug 1 and you go clockwise from that 1243 but yea now it starts and everything but there is white smoke coming out of the exhaust that means it burning oil right, and also i could feel a little loss of power, I have to use a timing light to find the specified position of the distributor. Any tips and tricks on timing with a timing light would be much appreciated
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I guess some years of distributors have the rotor in a different position relative to the cam slots from other years.

for timing it, before you start, take off your splash sheild and locate the little nick in the engine side rim of the crank pulley, and mark in it with a teeny dab of white out. They usually wear off, and are super impossible to see with the timing light.

White smoke could easily just be from all the cranking. take her for a decent length cruise and see if it clears up.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
money_greenmx3

Post by money_greenmx3 »

i just came back from canadian tire and i bought a timing light they had three different models a digital one which was the most expensive an advanced one and an inductive timing light which was the cheapest so i bought it, it should work fine right or are the other ones the better way?
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well it would be fun to tell you that you need to go back and buy the most expensive one there is.
but im not a d--- like that.
and yes your light will work
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
money_greenmx3

Post by money_greenmx3 »

i was driving it around abit today and i noticed that at low speed i can hear the belt it kinda has a weird swerve sound to it coud it be because i tightened somethingtoo hard or turned the crank pulley too much or what could it be change timing belt?? I also smellalot of gas that would prob be an exhaust gasket leak right but how would i go about finding it?
I also feel a loss of power in all gears i may not be useing the correct mark on the crank pulley i see two notched one looked more yellow then the other so iused that also there is a yellow mark with a 3 engraved on the side of the pulley which is the correct mark??

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”