SoCal - Ventura County - Looking for help with KLZE swap

For MX-3 owners on the west coast and surrounding areas
Maikeroppi

SoCal - Ventura County - Looking for help with KLZE swap

Post by Maikeroppi »

Hello fellow West Coast MX-3 owners!
I am throwing myself at the mercy of other SoCal MX3 owners. I have a 1993 Mazda MX-3 in good shape (pictured below!) despite its ~150K miles, but the K8 in it is worn out and it failed smog. I would love to swap a KLZE in it, but I am relegated to apartment living at the moment so I don't have the space.

That's where I'm hoping someone can help. The first thing is I need some space to actually work on the car. I also have zero experience working on cars, so I would greatly appreciate some help selecting all the parts for the swap and installing it. I would love to help with the install, although it would be better to have a mentor to watch over me. There will also be plenty of beer/food, and a few hundred dollars in cash out of appreciation. The car itself is currently registered non-op and located in Camarillo. It still runs, just burns a lot of oil and failed smog, so I could potentially drive it somewhere close by (Ventura, Oxnard, etc.).

If you can help out with space and expertise, it would be very much appreciated. I love my little MX-3; it was the car I learned to drive a manual on, and was just more fun to drive than any of my previous cars. I would like nothing more to see it running again.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Best full pic I could get with it in the parking stall. Unfortunately, the last time I drove it, I forgot to unhook the battery and it drained over several months. It's been covered most of the time it's in the parking stall, but it's still pretty dusty. Paint's still shiny though!

The interior is in great condition, although a little dirty. A little bit of trivia: by folding down the MX-3's rear seats, you can easily fit a frame size 17 mountain bike in the back by removing the front tire. The hatch closes and everything!

Interior is in good shape, except for a few small tears in the seats.

This is the only really noticeable problem: somebody made a white scrape across the bumper one night while it was parked. I don't even know how they managed to do it; the scrape was so light, rain washed away most of it. Once I get a new engine in it, I'll take care of this minor blemish.

Finally, here's my current parts list for the swap. This is an ongoing list I am hoping to update as I continue researching. I could use some help locating certain parts, in particular the engine which I have no idea where to get other than the worst possible place: eBay. So far, internet searches and random yellow pages calls haven't turned up a place nearby with a KLZE.

1993 MX-3 GS Parts and Stuff
--Absolutely necessary stuff--
KLZE Engine:
Budget: $800
Locations: eBay (not the preferred option...)

Millenia Manifold:
Budget: $100
Locations: eBay, local junkyard?

K8 Probinator ECU Chip (need to check if my K8 ECU can be chipped):
Budget: $45 (self solder)
Locations: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exedy MX6 Clutch Kit:
Budget: $150
Location: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1993/m ... h_kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motor Mounts:
Budget: $160
Locations:
Rock Auto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 305k316194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (isn't there a front and rear mount?) - $64
AWS: http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - $160

NGK Spark plugs:
Budget: $20

NGK Spark plug wires:
Budget: $75
Location: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 305k479536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gaskets (would KLDE ones work?):
Budget: $50

Timing belt / tensioner:
Budget: $50

Filters and fluids, odds and ends:
Budget: $100

Currently expected parts budget: $1550
Am I missing anything?

--Additional stuff I'll probably get--
Ebay KLZE headers:
Budget: $130
Location: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Replacement muffler:
Budget: $150
Location: Open (Looking for something reasonably quiet, i.e. won't attract attention)

(Same as stock K8 or KLDE?)
Oil pump
Water pump
Fuel Pump

Mazdaspeed Carbon Fiber Shift Knob that Corksport used to sell:
Budget: Whatever someone will sell it to me for

Thanks for looking, and if you think you could provide some help, please let me know!
cweed
antispam: No

Re: SoCal - Ventura County - Looking for help with KLZE swap

Post by cweed »

hello, nice mx3! I have a 94 with a k8, will get a ze soon as well. I have a friend here in the san fernando valley with a kl-ze mx3, he did the swap in his backyard. im sure if you spot him some cash he'll let you use his backyard/engine crane and help install it, we installed my springs last week at his place. I'll let him know.
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
Maikeroppi

Post by Maikeroppi »

Cool, thanks! I sent you a PM with a better way to contact me. I'd really like to know how your friend located his engine so I can start looking at buying one.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I live in Port Hueneme, hit me up man. I got all the tools and knowledge for these cars. I have done over 20 KLZE swaps for probe, Mx-6 and Mx-3's

Sent a message
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Maikeroppi

Post by Maikeroppi »

Well, thanks to slammed6, I did actually manage to get a curved neck KLZE swapped into my MX3, get it smogged, reregistered and everything. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite a happy ending. Within a thousand miles of the swap I ended up replacing the radiator and hoses and overpaying at a shop. Within two thousand miles of the swap, a kid hit me in a parking lot. It was low speed, and he hit right behind the passenger side door, scraping along the wheel. Bent the rear struts and probably the right rear wheel spindle, and it was enough for my insurance company to total it.

Now I have a very clean KLZE in car requiring a whole bunch of rear suspension work plus all the inspections to get it back on the road with no place to work on it. At this point, I would kind of like to just get rid of it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Find another MX-3 and swap in your ZE. Anyway bad luck always sucks as dose living in an apartment. Cheers.

PS chipable ECU Image
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

Slammed6 wrote:I live in Port Hueneme, hit me up man. I got all the tools and knowledge for these cars. I have done over 20 KLZE swaps for probe, Mx-6 and Mx-3's

Sent a message

im moving to Sacramento at the end of the year and may (will) need your expertise on the swap!
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “West Coast MX-3 Owners”