KLZE Emissions test

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
moneyshot23

KLZE Emissions test

Post by moneyshot23 »

hey i have a 94, with a KLZE swap.. I went to the get the E-test. and it faild the curb Idleing, They told me it could be (Ignition system malfunction, incorrect air/fuel mixture, vacuum leaks, incorrect ignition timing and or/ or idle speed, EGR valve partially stuck open, faulty fuel injector operation, internal engine problem, inoperative/missing catalytic converter, or Air injection system).. So i went over the car today, and everything seems to be fine, im not sure of what the spark plug gaps should be set at, and im not sure if the iginition timing is off... the catalytic converter is brand new, the EGR valave seems to be working fine, fuel injector is new and is working fine, theres no internal engine problem, nothing wrong with the air injection system... So im either thinking its the Air/Fuel mixture. or the spark plug gaps. or may Vacuum leak some where.. Does anyone know what the iginition timing should be at, and the spark plug gap?.. Or if someone else has/had this same problem PLZ tell me what you did to fix it. or what i could look/try and fix the problem... Thanks guys..
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE Emissions test

Post by PATDIESEL »

We need more info like what ECU and VAF are you running?
Spark plugs are usually gapped when you buy them now-a-days, but the online manual has the number in the first section about maintenance. However, I'm sure someone is going to do your work for you and tell you instead of letting you learn how to use the resources given to you... :roll:
Timing should be 10* TDC. You need a timing light to determine what your timing is. Do you know how to do that?
Are you really running EGR on a ZE? Do they really go over the car that well in Canada? I have never used an EGR on my ZE and have very good numbers from my E-Tests here.
Was the car nice and warm when you went? I usually run around the block a few times and do a short stint down the freeway and back before an E-Test. Your Cat needs to be nice and warm to burn off excess fuel, especially at idle.
How old are your O2 sensors?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

First off are you not being tested under Hot Rod status? Secondly there's no port for the EGR to recirc exhaust through on a ZE intake so other than not wanting to run with a code there's no effect on emissions from the EGR. Spark plug gap is usually around .038 to .041.
CorkSport suggests .036 on the ZE.

Finally, the ZE I have now was boarder line to pass the test. My Etest station worked with me to tweak things to get me to pass. Example, the 2500rpm test can be done anywhere from 2250 to 2700rpm. CO emissions are lower the closer to 2250 you keep the engine so keep the rpm in the lower end of the rpm range for this part of the test. Also unplugging the pvc valve will lower emissions. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

hey, yeh there is the EGR on my KLZE.. no they didnt test it as a hot rod, or anything they put it under MX3 2.5 v6.. But i called the place and told them its not a mx3 motor so they said it would have to go under "hot rod"... and no i didnt let the car get warm, i just started it, and took it to the place. My step dad told me i should let it run for 30mins or drive it around so it gets really hot and clears the excess fuel out...and for the o2 sensor, i just had a brand new High Flow Catalytic Converter with reactive muffler put on the car last summer, it doesnt get driven in the winter, so im assuming the o2 sensor is brand new too, and im running the KL36 ECU Computer
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Dude if it's not passing while idling, wow... that's pretty bad.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

it passed, its cause the shop wasnt putting it under hot rod.. which makes it have different reading...... just advice to you Night-Shade, if you have bad comments and arnt gonna help people. then dont bother commenting on the post dumb a--..
_-Night-Shade-_

moneyshot23 wrote:it passed, its cause the shop wasnt putting it under hot rod.. which makes it have different reading...... just advice to you Night-Shade, if you have bad comments and arnt gonna help people. then dont bother commenting on the post dumb a--..
Looks like your place would be better fitted on a civic forum. If you didn't have your head so far up your a** you'd understand that my post was implying that something is seriously off with your car. And FYI it shouldn't need to be under hot rod to pass if everything is working right.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mine passed as a KL08 (I have a 200WHP DE with no EGR). They don't do "Hot Rod" here.
Night Shade didn't mean to offend, and I wouldn't have taken it that way.
Name calling doesn't go over well here.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

well i do apologize. it come across that way.... no everything is running ont he car. its been running since i did the swap.. but here if they do the test under MX3 motor it reads different reading for idleing and etc.. if its not the stock engine in the car here they put it under hot Rod. which has different readings.. so it passed under hot rod but not the stock mx3 engine... but i didnt mean to be hatin or name callin..
mx34u2nv

Post by mx34u2nv »

my experience etesting a klze. no egr, kl31 ecu, with je50. went for etest, and failed. they tested it as a k8. went to mazda dealer and got a letter saying is wasnt the stock k8 and it was a kl series motor. took it for etest again as a kl and it passed. I dont think they will test it under "hot rod" unless you can prove that u have internal mods and such done. Current car is 97 eclipse gst with:
6 bolt block .020 over
- Balance shafts removed
- Ross Forged Aluminum Pistons 8.5:1
- 1g Big Rods w/ ARP hardware.
- Mitsu MLS headgasket
- NEW water pump, oil pump, all timing belt components.
- Apexi N1 Catback exhaust
- ACT Streetlite Flywheel
- ACT 2600 Clutch, with street disk

big 16 g turbo
apexi upper intercooler pipe
550 cc injectors(installed)
prosport boost and egt gauges,
AEM UGEO wideband O2
prosport boost and EGT gauges
Apexi SAFC2
greddy RS bov
walbro 255l/h

and im gettin a hard time from them to test it as a hotrod. car makes about 350 hp at 20psi..

AT idle a klze runnig properly should stuill pass when tested as a k8. somethings not right...

fowljesse post link to dyno sheet.. i want to see what u did to get 200whp out of a de. considering there only about 160 stock at crank.. im not callin bull i like the klseries and am curious.
Full fx designs body kit, Apex lowering springs tokico struts, walbro fuelpump, klze, 17" sachhi wheels, b'm short throw shifter, ractive frount and rear tower bars, kl36 ecu. all for sale....pending
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

i think its different for other towns or country's.. i took it back and told them it wasnt stock. that it was a import so they put it under hot rod and she passed with flying colours
_-Night-Shade-_

That's because the hot rod limits are much higher and you'd need something rediculously toxic to fail that lol.
moneyshot23

Post by moneyshot23 »

yeh when the guy put it in as a 2.5 v6 for mx3, the idleing was 200 and my reading was 245.. when he put it under hot rod it went too 300 and my reading was 246.. lol.. but they didnt charge me for the etest for them messing up the piory day so bonus for me haha
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

I was given some advice on e test by an old mechanic.

He told me to run 2-3 tanks of high octane through it with a couple bottles of octane boost.
Higher octane fuel burns cleaner.

And lastly get a can of combustion chamber cleaner used on ATV and dirkbikes spray it directly down your throttle body (butterfly open Dur I messed that up the first time). Let that sit for 24 hrs it loosens the carbon on the valves then start it up let it get warm then rev it real hard like 5-6k should pour smoke for a couple mins. That's carbon. Not only will it decrease emmisions you'll feel a NOTICEABLE increase in throttle response/pick-up and compression depending how much build up you have.

The cleaner can be bought at Canadian tire not sure where in the states.

Here's what it looks like
http://www.americanmuscle.nl/acdelcocom ... leaner.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... C01707.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there's lots of different brands I use the Mopar stuff cause I get it free but it's all the same.

It's a fairly well know secret but really works and it's a good Cheap performance booster.
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
_-Night-Shade-_

What you're describing sounds basically like Seafoam. And actually in our case (Ontario) the lower octane fuels would burn cleaner because they have ethanol in them.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”