V6 Tranny Problem

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
idontknow

V6 Tranny Problem

Post by idontknow »

Ok so i have a 92 gs auto tranny, and im sure the first thing yall are going to say is do a manual swap, but im not at the point yet.
the tranny still pulls hard all the way through first but never seems to shift to any other gear...so i took it to a shop and they recommended that i have the ecm remanufactured. so i called some ecm repair places i found over the web and they told me this was very popular problem with the mx3 and that i should have the ecm looked at. i decided to take the cheap way and just buy a used ecm over ebay hopping that would fix the problem. well i got the ecm in today and plugged it in but it will still not shift. my question is do i have to do anything to reset the car in order for the car to recognize the new ecm? or should it just be a simple swap, or will replacing the ecm even fix this problem?
wytbishop

Re: V6 Tranny Problem

Post by wytbishop »

The reason that there is practically no information on here about auto trannies is because there are practically no auto tranny owners that keep them and or do any work on them. Your best bet woul dbe to ask the ecm guy that told you it needed work the same question you asked here. He woul dknow better than 99% of us.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

ok correct me if im wrong, but the tranny computer and the ecu/ecm are all one unit correct?
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

idontknow wrote:ok correct me if im wrong, but the tranny computer and the ecu/ecm are all one unit correct?
You're wrong.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

What he means to say is, that the auto tranny has a separate ECU which is located under the passenger's seat (I think). there is a section on the auto tranny in the manual. You can probably learn a lot from that.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php?f ... 0Manual/K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

ok this was really helpful, thanks guys!!!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Passenger seat has the ABS
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

think i found it. i think its the computer under the radio
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

idontknow wrote:think i found it. i think its the computer under the radio
Yep... that's the one. Directly under the radio, not the one towards the passenger side firewall. Although, before replacing anymore computers, I'd disconnect the battery and hold the brake pedal down for a bit to discharge capacitors. Then go for a drive. Sometimes those computers just need to be reset, seen it before...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I would first check to see if the car will start in gears other than P and N, usually when the car will not shift past first its not reading the signals from the transmission and has gone into limp mode. If there was no slipping prior to the failure then there is a 90% chance that the problem is electrical. I have had several of the neutral safety switch failures mimic a transmission failure. All the wiring for the shift solenoids and valve body in general are routed through that switch, because the switch wiring moved internally contacts wear out hence the loss in signal. If the car starts in any gear other than P or N then its that switch that is shot not the transmission. As an added fyi the biggest single source of these transmissions failing was the cooler, they had a very poor cooler from factory it is just a single metal pipe with no cooling fins to speak of, overheated oil attributed to the auto trans clutch packs prematurely wearing out and clogs in the valve body. Adding an aftermarket cooler with an inline filter can reduce this problem by as much as 85%. I have personally torn apart these transmissions and have rebuilt them, 1 was put into a turbo mx-3 with a bpt swap and his transmission has held with no problems to date (over a year now, the guy hates stick shift) I added an aftermarket cooler and a hydraulic filter that is 10 micron absolute, it still shifts like new with 0 problems to date. Yes he does drive it hard on occasion but he changes that filter every year and he keeps an eye on the colour and condition of the fluid, changing it every 50,000 kms religously.
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

Wow.. i did not know that. I also have trouble with my 92 GS automatic.
It has a long hard shift into 2nd gear. All others shift fine unless car acts up,
then i have trouble with first as well.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Check the condition of the transmission oil, it should be bright red and also check the level, it needs to be at the full mark fully warmed up and idling. If its a dark red or browm then get it changed asap to save the clutch packs.
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

umcamara wrote:Yep... that's the one. Directly under the radio, not the one towards the passenger side firewall. Although, before replacing anymore computers, I'd disconnect the battery and hold the brake pedal down for a bit to discharge capacitors. Then go for a drive. Sometimes those computers just need to be reset, seen it before...
i gave this a try and it didnt work, but thanks for the help
Newfie_dan wrote:I would first check to see if the car will start in gears other than P and N, usually when the car will not shift past first its not reading the signals from the transmission and has gone into limp mode. If there was no slipping prior to the failure then there is a 90% chance that the problem is electrical. I have had several of the neutral safety switch failures mimic a transmission failure. All the wiring for the shift solenoids and valve body in general are routed through that switch, because the switch wiring moved internally contacts wear out hence the loss in signal. If the car starts in any gear other than P or N then its that switch that is shot not the transmission. As an added fyi the biggest single source of these transmissions failing was the cooler, they had a very poor cooler from factory it is just a single metal pipe with no cooling fins to speak of, overheated oil attributed to the auto trans clutch packs prematurely wearing out and clogs in the valve body. Adding an aftermarket cooler with an inline filter can reduce this problem by as much as 85%. I have personally torn apart these transmissions and have rebuilt them, 1 was put into a turbo mx-3 with a bpt swap and his transmission has held with no problems to date (over a year now, the guy hates stick shift) I added an aftermarket cooler and a hydraulic filter that is 10 micron absolute, it still shifts like new with 0 problems to date. Yes he does drive it hard on occasion but he changes that filter every year and he keeps an eye on the colour and condition of the fluid, changing it every 50,000 kms religously.
yep the car only starts in neutral and park
Newfie_dan wrote:Check the condition of the transmission oil, it should be bright red and also check the level, it needs to be at the full mark fully warmed up and idling. If its a dark red or browm then get it changed asap to save the clutch packs.
had the tranny oil replaced today; still not shifting...

so im almost positive that it is the tranny computer at this point
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

out of curiosity does the hold light on your dash come on at all?
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

my hold light on dash comes on when my car dies and one time when it didnt die but tried to and then the car acted like it didnt know if it was in gear or not.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"

Return to “Transmissions”