POLL: U/D pulleys, Problems?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Have you had a problem with an underdrive pulley?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

fowljesse
Supporting Member

POLL: U/D pulleys, Problems?

Post by fowljesse »

I've been afraid of U/D pulleys, but after looking at many KL dyno sheets, I'm considering them. So.... If you have, or had one please answer the poll!
If you HAVE had a problem, which brand was it, and what was the problem??
I allowed 2 answers, in case you had a bad one, and a good one.
Thanks!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
davmac

Re: POLL: U/D pulleys, Problems?

Post by davmac »

Poll for some reason not accepting my vote of "no".
No problems over 100K miles with Unorthodox lightened underdrive pulley installed on Nissan vq35de. I have no dyno proof of increased hp or tq, but the UD pulley did seem to increase throttle response. Most people worry that the solid aluminum pulley is not providing the proper harmonic balancing versus stock pulley, but that is nonsense for any internally balanced crankshaft. A lightened pulley provides similar benefit as a lightened flywheel. Both pulley and flywheel must be independently balanced (think balancing a wheel) but in most cases are not necessary to balance the crankshaft.

Best info I have seen is at this link . In the FAQ on unorthodox racing they say essentially the same thing.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks. That's alot of miles! Good testimony. I've seen them work on other cars, too, but for some reason they have come apart on about 8 KLs that I can think of. I'm leaning toward doing it....
I don't know why the poll won't work :?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Which 8 KL's had problems with it? And what exactly fell apart, the pulley or the engine?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Ice Racing

Post by Ice Racing »

We installed one on our ice racing car and took it to the track for one full day of race, nothing negative to report on that short period of test. Was also not to hard to fit. Mine was bought used and came with both strap. Only down side so far is that your reference mark for timming is further then OEM, so checking timming is little less obvious
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Haven't heard much positive. Of course I don't run one. I guess it's more for a track car rather than dependable daily driver. I think even my Cobra still running on stock one and it's HIGHLY modified. For what hp/tq it frees up I don't think it's worth it on daily driver anyways.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Oh my god! KL engines' crankshafts are internally balanced! This answers all my questions. I was wondering before if these were safe or not but with this new info it sounds like there should be no problems!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Of course mine has one and I've read some negative stuff about them. I'll wait and see but so far no probs reported regarding mine.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I tried it, and I really wanted it to work. I got a cheap ebay OBX and it didnt work. it caused my car to sound funky. You know how you can "feel" your engine... and well I didnt get much power freed from it. If you are looking to free up some power, go to manual steering rack. The underdrive pulley causes your alternator to not spin enough at low rpms, my lights would dim .. I guess because it was obx and the crank sensor blades may have not been aligned. I was not satisfied... also I left a scar on the oil pump assembly as I had to shave some of it to let the pulley fit.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I don't remember which engines had trouble, as it was over the past 5 or 6 years. It seems like the ones that failed were the Ebay ones. The problems, as I remember are; The sensor blades part would seperate from the main pulley part, it does spin everything slower, but I have a very good alternator, and my headlights use less energy than OEM. I'm also thinking about getting an electric water pump.
I'm thinking about the manual steering swap, but want to drive an MX-3 with it aggressively, to see if it's good for autocross.
I'm glad you figured it out, NightShade. My rotating assembly was balanced beyaond OEM specs.

Thanks, Dan, and Ice Racing. I have MegaSquirt, so timing is no problem.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

People always like suggesting the manual rack for more power, but it seems that most are only interested in going fast in a straight line...keep the PS for autocross forsure.

Ya, the issue with an UD pulley isn't about running a UD pulley and affecting the motor in a negative manner, but a failure of the UD pulley itself form the cheaper units out there, as you just described.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”