Timing belt tesioner?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Posey24
antispam: No

Timing belt tesioner?

Post by Posey24 »

From what i readthe rattling or clicking heard from the timing belt area is the tensioner being bad. Whats the technical part name. Also can i get a good one from a junkyard maybe. Cuz i found a car that has a practically new timing belt. If i can get that how can i tell if the tensioner is still good
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Timing belt tesioner?

Post by Ryan »

Its called the timing belt tensioner.

I wouldn't bother with a used one, unless its new. If its not corroded, and looks shiny and new, like new parts do, then maybe. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Just remember to compress it SLOWLY when you compress it to get the pin in. Doing to too quickly will ruin it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If it's leaking any fluid it's pooched.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The ones that have a screw at the bottom are rebuilable. Some are not. Also theres a mod on probetalk forums on making a manual one. Yeah the clicking nolise is the tensioner. I replaced mine(for a good used one) and wow what a difference. I dont have my timing belt cover on so it was easy to replace.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Clicking noise could be the timing belt tensioner or the friction gear spring.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I have a functional tensioner sitting around if it's worth $20 plus shipping to you. I already compressed it and put a pin in it to hold the inner bar in place. After installing, all you have to do is pull the pin out. PM me your address if you're interested. I tore down my K8 and put it in storage after I installed the DE. The block and heads are going to scrap this spring but the rest of the small parts are still available. Lemme know 8)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”