Check engine light - Need help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3sohc
antispam: No

Check engine light - Need help

Post by mx3sohc »

Hi everyone, I am new to the board but I have been looking at threads on here for awhile now. I bought a 92 1.6 SOHC MX-3 as a new daily driver and I am having some problems with the gas mileage and the power band. I jumped TEN and GND and got only one code and that was code 3 which is crank angle sensor, I went to the junkyard and pulled a distributor and installed it but the code did not go away. I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes and held the brake pedal down for 30 seconds but the code was not cleared, soon as I start the car the check engine light comes back on. I checked the voltages at the plug on the distributor and from front to back they are, 4.9 4.9 12.6 0 I also cleaned up the grounds around the coil and the actual metal where the plug wire goes into the coil as it was corroded alittle.

The car starts up easily and runs good except from approx 3k-4.5k RPMs it revs really slow and produces NO power. And the mileage I have recorded is 22.7mpg on 89 octane, which is not good for such a light car and small engine. Let me know if anyone has any solutions to the code 3 mentioned above and if anything else might cause the problems I am having. Oh and for the record the engine has 157004 miles on it currently and doesnt burn much oil if any at all and doesnt burn any antifreeze. Thanks in advance.
Typhoonk

Re: Check engine light - Need help

Post by Typhoonk »

code 3 No G-signal (DOHC).

hmmm. check out this link for some tests you can do --> http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=537276

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
mx3sohc

Post by mx3sohc »

First, test for 12v on the white/red wire. That wire is connected to the main relay.

The other 3 wires run to the ECU. Test each for continuity to itself and to each other wire. Also test all 4 wires for continuity to ground. Each wire that you test should only show continuity to itself. If any wire has continuity to any other wire and/or ground, then you have a problem.
12v is good, and as far as the other tests for continuity. Do I test at each end of the wire, like one end at the distributor plug and the other end at the ecu? What would be the easiest way to test the wires?
mx3sohc

Post by mx3sohc »

Havent had a chance to test the wires yet, will get around to it tommorow. But I had my exhaust fixed, had a leak at the cat and another leak where one of the hangers was welded on, And also went to a stock muffler. Seems to rev better and gained a tad bit of power back but doesnt feel as nice as my other sohc I had with 225k on it. This motor could have been abused before I got it so it might just be a worn out motor. Im satisfied for now, other than the cel is still on and I havent checked my mileage yet but the exhaust could have been the culprit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”