93 MX-3 GS with KLZE wont start.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wohpony
antispam: No

93 MX-3 GS with KLZE wont start.

Post by wohpony »

I have a 93 MX-3 GS with a KLZE. The car has a US. Ford Probe ECU and the KL02 VAF. It is getting spark and fuel but will not start. It turns over like when you do a compression test but will not fire up. Car was running fine before but had a engine head tapping noise which i believe is unrelated. A friend of mine thinks it may be the VAF but shouldent the car still start if that goes bad?

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated..
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
mx3sohc

Re: 93 MX-3 GS with KLZE wont start.

Post by mx3sohc »

The tapping noise was most likely the lifters as they are noisy on these cars. Does the engine have good compression? What about the timing, make sure it is spot on.
wohpony

Post by wohpony »

I was also thinking lifters. Does anyone by chance know how to check the timing on these motors?
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Should still start even if timing is not spot on. Basically, if you're getting fuel and spark, it should start. It may not stay running if something else is wrong but at least you would be able to rule out some things.

Does it even seem to try and turn over or does it just crank with nothing at all? If it was the VAF, it would start then die. HLA's are prone to being noisey but have no impact on whether or not your car will start.

What disty are you using? How are you certain that you're getting fuel/spark? There are many suspects but you have to begin with the basics first. It saves headaches :).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

did you do anything to it like mods or anything requiring you to take apart the intake manifold? if you have unhooked the fuel lines recently you might have em on backwards. are all your vacume lines hooked up?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
wohpony

Post by wohpony »

ok so im retarded. Changed the plugs and she fired right up! the plugs where done due to it running so rich, man I need a tune.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well if your running the mx3 ecu. thats why your running rich. buy a millenia or 626 ecu and youll be good to go
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

SpatialTerror wrote:well if your running the mx3 ecu. thats why your running rich. buy a millenia or 626 ecu and youll be good to go
Lulz
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”