Car won't start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

Car won't start

Post by Gods Father »

hey guys...i posted a question like 2 weeks ago about my car dying and i got a few responses but i wanted to start a new thread about it because i have some more information to offer. so here's the story: i had my car running for like 45 mins maybe in my driveway and i got in it and let it roll back into the street and put it in gear and as i gave it gas the car stalled/died and i havent been able to start it since...it cranks just doesn't start.

I replaced the distributor but the same problem happens. Its obviously something to do with my gas or spark. I just don't know how to pinpoint which one it is. I think my next step would be to test the spark. which i should do and repost. but i just wanted to know if you have any other ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

thanks,

GF
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Car won't start

Post by Ryan »

Did your Tbelt go for a trip?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

i dont think so =/ how would i find out if it did?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
davmac

Post by davmac »

Test for broken timing belt:
Remove the distributor cap and push it to the side. Note the position of the rotor.
Blip the starter briefly to turn the crankshaft and see if the rotor turns.
If the rotor turns with the crankshaft your timing belt is intact.

If you want to do this the safety first way:
- Raise and support the car on jack stands
- Remove the front right wheel
- Remove the distributor cap
- Turn the crankshaft (clockwise) by hand with a breaker bar or ratchet and 19mm socket on the crankshaft bolt.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

Gods Father wrote: I replaced the distributor but the same problem happens. Its obviously something to do with my gas or spark. I just don't know how to pinpoint which one it is. I think my next step would be to test the spark. which i should do and repost.
GF
Has you car started since you installed a new disty?

If your car starts and then dies under load it is a completely different deal.
I’m assuming this is a no start situation. If so here are simple spark and fuel checks:

Invest $15 in an inline spark tester (Sears, auto part stores, etc.). Use it to check for spark at spark plug. You just pull a wire and insert the end of the tester on to the spark plug still in the engine and the other end into the spark plug wire. If you have spark the light will flash. You can move on to checking for fuel.

Check fuel pump operation by connecting GND and F/P at the little diagnostics box. Turn the ignition key to on position (don’t start car). Listen for the fuel pump operating. If needed get your head right on top of the fuel pump by removing the back seat cushion. If the pump does not operate the next test is to check the fuel pump relay. Here I’ll let you read the service manual fuel and emission control system section.

Good luck. It is usually something simple. I hope it is also easy to repair.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”