Turbo ZE, need more info!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
V6dave
antispam: No

Turbo ZE, need more info!

Post by V6dave »

Hi Guys,

I currently have a stock 1.8 V6 MX3 and am up to 178,000miles on her, she still runs perfect but am starting to plan for the future and what i'm going to do when the engine eventually dies on me...anyone know roughly how many miles these engines can do? she seems pretty solid to me!

So, the obvious thing is to put a 2.5 ZE in, and then possibly Turbo it :D

How much BHP can I expect to get from a Turbo ZE in an MX-3? and what sort of 0-60mph (0-100km/h) time would this give? A stock ZE is about 6.0 seconds isn't it? so with Turbo I guess around 4.5-5seconds?...these are pure guesses. I would like to think it could do this speed though as I want to be competing with EVO's ;)

Also, how much would a decent Turbo set-up cost me roughly? If I do the majority of the work myself.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Evo_Spec

Re: Turbo ZE, need more info!

Post by Evo_Spec »

obviously when comparing to something like an evo you have to consider that their AWD so their launch will be much stonger than our FWD, unless their runnin donut tires or something =P
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There's alot of info to find in the old posts about all that, using the search.
The 1.8 V6 generally lasts over 500,000 miles. I've got about the same mileage on mine, and I think with minor intake/ exhaust, I have the same HP as factory. It gets up and goes, and is fun to drive.
There are alot of other variables, when considering 0-60, like suspension, tires, wheelhop, etc...
As far as boosting, it has been proven that a KLDE works better. There have been some impressive boosted K8s, too.
Hint: search Babybluemx3 for boosted ZE posts.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Don't get into a pissing contest with an EVO. You'll only win if the EVO doesn't show up. Learn more about cars and do more searching.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

well my 4cyl has 212000 miles on it (not exact). and before my 1.8 blew i had 194000 on it. my buddies 1.8 has like 230000 on it and its about to blow. my klze hauls a--. i have some small preformance mods to my ze. but my 0-60 time was 3.74 secs and im running a n/a setup. but i too am planning on a turbo. ive seen a few turbos. ive herd with alot of cash you can push around 400bhp. but the max ive seen on youtube is like 360 running like 9psi or something like that. turbos make the car go pretty fast
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Don't get into a pissing contest with an EVO. You'll only win if the EVO doesn't show up. Learn more about cars and do more searching.
Yes, 291 @ 6500 / 300 lb.-ft. @ 4000 compared to our pitifull 190hp
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

With ALOT of cash, you can get 1,000HP out of a KL.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Well nothings ever black and white eh?

Shaodome ran 13psi on a knackered ZE - 350WHP... Probetalk thread

'It's all in the tune', well at least a lot of it is. Given the choice though, I'd save the money and buy a DE if I intended to turbo.

As for evos, depends how much money has been thrown at it, straight line or not and how much is in your mx3. IIRC stock evos are no faster than 13 really. There's little doubt as to which is a better platform for speed. But meh they're just so standard issue here. People expect an evo to be fast, they don't expect an mx3 to be, which is part of the appeal to me.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

The aftermarket support for the evo is just stupid. About a month after the evo was released one ran 10's in the 1320. It took only about 500hp for it to do so. Lets face it, they come with a friggin launch mode and can corner like no other car I have ever been in.

That's one that you just will not win.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Heh yep! Well they are a fairly dedicated performance car. Life of the underdog eh? :lol:
Last edited by marcdh on January 21st, 2010, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You can still build one hellofa car. Just keep your goals realistic
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Thanks for the replies guys...although i think some of you took the EVO thing a little bit too seriously!
fowljesse wrote:There's alot of info to find in the old posts about all that, using the search.
The 1.8 V6 generally lasts over 500,000 miles. I've got about the same mileage on mine, and I think with minor intake/ exhaust, I have the same HP as factory. It gets up and goes, and is fun to drive.
There are alot of other variables, when considering 0-60, like suspension, tires, wheelhop, etc...
As far as boosting, it has been proven that a KLDE works better. There have been some impressive boosted K8s, too.
Hint: search Babybluemx3 for boosted ZE posts.
500,000miles!? wow, i'm not sure i'll get that much out of her? If i did i'd never have to buy another car in my life! :)

It is a lovely car to drive and not too slow on a stock 1.8 :D so i'm REALLY pleased that i stumbled upon buying one.

How come the KLDE works better for boosting? Isn't it something to do with the compression ratio?

So it is possible to boost the stock 1.8 V6? (with some modifications to the engine of course) how much BHP could you expect to get from that? 200?
SpatialTerror wrote:well my 4cyl has 212000 miles on it (not exact). and before my 1.8 blew i had 194000 on it. my buddies 1.8 has like 230000 on it and its about to blow. my klze hauls a--. i have some small preformance mods to my ze. but my 0-60 time was 3.74 secs and im running a n/a setup. but i too am planning on a turbo. ive seen a few turbos. ive herd with alot of cash you can push around 400bhp. but the max ive seen on youtube is like 360 running like 9psi or something like that. turbos make the car go pretty fast
0-60mph in 3.74 seconds?! Really?! not sure i believe that on a non-boosted KLZE?!...unless you're talking about km/h? lol.

Yes, 300-350BHP would be awesome!...would the engine last long being boosted to that extent though? would it not blow up? I guess if you turn the boost down and then only kill it at the track/dyno it should be ok?
fowljesse wrote:With ALOT of cash, you can get 1,000HP out of a KL.
1000BHP!? WOW! that's insane!...i think that would be a bit of overkill really, you surely couldn't get all that power down to the road?
marcdh wrote:Well nothings ever black and white eh?

Shaodome ran 13psi on a knackered ZE - 350WHP... Probetalk thread

'It's all in the tune', well at least a lot of it is. Given the choice though, I'd save the money and buy a DE if I intended to turbo.

As for evos, depends how much money has been thrown at it, straight line or not and how much is in your mx3. IIRC stock evos are no faster than 13 really. There's little doubt as to which is a better platform for speed. But meh they're just so standard issue here. People expect an evo to be fast, they don't expect an mx3 to be, which is part of the appeal to me.
Yes indeed, i'm over in England and there are quite a lot of EVOs and Subarus over here...but you hardly ever see an MX-3, most people never even know what car or make it is when they see it! which is awesome :D adding that to the fact it is the nicest car i've ever driven and vaguely powerful and beautiful to look at it makes me want to get all i can out of it. I plan to own it for a good few years yet and I am thinking of buying another one as a project car to do the boosting to while i drive mine :D
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

SpatialTerror wrote:well my 4cyl has 212000 miles on it (not exact). and before my 1.8 blew i had 194000 on it. my buddies 1.8 has like 230000 on it and its about to blow. my klze hauls a--. i have some small preformance mods to my ze. but my 0-60 time was 3.74 secs and im running a n/a setup. but i too am planning on a turbo. ive seen a few turbos. ive herd with alot of cash you can push around 400bhp. but the max ive seen on youtube is like 360 running like 9psi or something like that. turbos make the car go pretty fast
Wow, you are only .34 seconds slower than a Mclaren F1! thats amazing. :lol:
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

So you guys are telling me that the evo guys are giving you some competition? o.0 at least stock ones shouldnt if you go boosted.. they are around 220 at the wheel.. they jump on mt at launch but I quickly catch up.

Again this is STOCK not modded evos....

And everyone knows my tune is crap..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

V6dave wrote:
Yes indeed, i'm over in England and there are quite a lot of EVOs and Subarus over here...but you hardly ever see an MX-3, most people never even know what car or make it is when they see it! which is awesome :D adding that to the fact it is the nicest car i've ever driven and vaguely powerful and beautiful to look at it makes me want to get all i can out of it. I plan to own it for a good few years yet and I am thinking of buying another one as a project car to do the boosting to while i drive mine :D
Ahhh nice one! You should join uk-mx3.com. It's no mx-3.com but it's good to see what your local mxers are up to :)
hgallegos915 wrote:And everyone knows my tune is crap..
:lol: I love your self deprecating posts Hector. Well at least your tune has survived years, so it could certainly be worse. Will you ever get MS?
View Worklog

Return to “Forced Induction”