Well crap, new TB, new problem.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
navymx3
antispam: No

Well crap, new TB, new problem.

Post by navymx3 »

Ok, I got a TB from a guy on here, and I installed it, and instead of having a rolling idle problem, I now have a "ill start but die right away" problem. I crank it up, and 2 seconds later, it sputters and dies...wtf!? I cant win! I had a buddy keep it alive by giving it gas sparingly, and i unplugged the MAF, and *whooooom!* it shot to 4k rpm. so, does this mean I have a dirty, or bad MAF? help please, I checked the manuel but couldnt find the solution. please help :) thanks guys.
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Well crap, new TB, new problem.

Post by mitmaks »

You can't bolt it on and expect it to work perfectly. Have to adjust idle properly and check for vacuum leaks. Did you install new gasket also? It might have been some other problem, not tb related.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Mitmaks is dead right. Set the idle, set the TPS, set the timing and the gasket is a biggie.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
navymx3
antispam: No

Post by navymx3 »

I did do all that, but it just wouldnt work. I tried setting the idle screw, tried adjusting the TPS, but it would still die on me, I dont really have an idea where to set those things or how to determine where they need to be set. And I got work in the morning...dang.lol
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Try getting a new TB gasket since the one that was on it has about 160K on it. As mentioned, there could be a vac leak and if so, adjusting the screw wouldn't do anything. When the TB was on my K8, it ran perfect, with a little bit of idle jump bc of a vac leak though. But it stayed running. I would suspect your maf actually. I know on my first car, the engine would start up nicely but die right out if the maf wasn't plugged in the right way.

Hope this helps.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can use gasket maker instead of a gasket on the TB. I have not had a TB gasket in YEARS. I would check for vacuum leaks or a bad maf though. You can usually get a car to run, maybe run like crap, but run with pretty much any idle setting. If you messed the TPS up, you will need to fix that first. There are directions on setting the TPS in the online manual. There are also directions for checking the MAF's resistance to see if it is bad.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0&Nr ... d=713q5426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”