Painting my rims

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
kaube69
antispam: No

Painting my rims

Post by kaube69 »

So I did a search for " painting rims" and there was no results and I don't feel like searching 112 pages so forgive me if this has been asked before. My mx3 is black on black on black and I don't like the rims color. ( kinda between white and silver) they are ASA rims 5 spoke and I want them black with a red ring around the edge.( I'm doing a red black color scheme) any suggestions or tips to make this easier for me. I m not looking for gloss I want kinda a black powder coated look without the huge expense.
black 93' MX-3 -KLZE-
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Painting my rims

Post by mitmaks »

You could dismount tires and take them to local powdercoater. It shouldn't cost a lot if they're "ready to go"..maybe $40/wheel or so.
Otherwise you could try automotive paint, single stage but it wouldn't be as durable as powdercoat.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Just paint the heck outta them. Worst that could happen is it chips off, but then I guess you're no worse off than when you started...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

mitmaks wrote:You could dismount tires and take them to local powdercoater. It shouldn't cost a lot if they're "ready to go"..maybe $40/wheel or so.
Otherwise you could try automotive paint, single stage but it wouldn't be as durable as powdercoat.
X2. Powder only. Unless you are ok with painting them several times a year.
kaube69

Post by kaube69 »

lol money isnt exactly in abundance these days so i wanna go the cheap route...thanks for the reply
black 93' MX-3 -KLZE-
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

cheap = the wrong way to do things. If you don't have the cash, don't waste it on crap paint.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Amen, It only cost 200 to powdercoat my four seventeens. That was three years ago and they still shine.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Another vote for powdercoating. 10x better then painting. If you go ahead and paint then you are you just gonna have problems down the road so suite yourself
kaube69

Post by kaube69 »

Ya. I guess it's gunna have to wait then:(
black 93' MX-3 -KLZE-
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You can try single stage paint, it should hold up pretty decent.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I have had a lot of luck with painting wheels. If you are going to do it, do it right with automotive paint and a real sprayer, real prep work, etc. I had one set of wheels powdercoated and 2 of four cracked as the were 15 year old aluminum. Its the best way but be wary of the condition of your wheels and the reputation of your powdercoater. If you wanna do it on the cheap just take the 10 bux you were gonna spend on rattle cans and put it in your tank. Tuning takes MONEY! Customization takes...you guessed it MONEY.
If you can spare 20 bux a week for crap you can toss it in a savings account and in a few months you will have the money to do it right! Im not dissing you, im just saying you CAN do all your your projects right, it just take patience. If you are seriously embarassed about the state of your rollers wash em real good, take a white scotch brite pad to em, and finish off with some 1000 grit wet sanding. You will be shocked at the difference it makes, and it'll only cost you a few bux and some good old fashioned elbow grease
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

im in the process of painting mine. i found some rim paint at canadian tire in a spray can. i have some cheapo rims so i dont really care if they turn out or not. they were originally scratched and dented to crap. so far ive grinded out the scrapes and dents with my dremel and sanded the rest of it down to the primer. im probably gonna paint it today or tomorrow. i can email you pics if you want. i dont know how it will hold up but for a $10 can of paint i cant go wrong...
waspone

Post by waspone »

i pained my 5 spoke wheels with a bronze auto rim paint, and it outlasted my car, lol no chips or anything i was quite happy
at least do a clear coat though

however powder coat would be ideal for sure.
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE

Return to “Appearance”