Check engine light troubles...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
yontzie
antispam: No

Check engine light troubles...

Post by yontzie »

Hello i have recently completed a KLDE swap. i am using a KL07 ECU. The check engine light comes on after about 3 secconds after starting the motor. i am only getting a knock sensor and a O2 sensor code. thoes should not throw the check engine light.....

also the oil light does not come on when the key is in the "on" position. when i start the car it stays on.... I am getting oil pressure.. i am thinking the oil pressuse sending unit is broken...

i have also relocated my battery in the trunk. I have a high quality 4 gauge wire going from the positive on the batery directly to the wire under the hood. the ground on the battery and the ground under the hood are bolted down the the front and rear strut tower. i am getting a battery light. my battery is charging just fine. i have driven it for about 3 weeks and it still holds a constant charge of about 13.5 V...

Any suggestions....?
Slammed6

Re: Check engine light troubles...

Post by Slammed6 »

Hello i have recently completed a KLDE swap. i am using a KL07 ECU. The check engine light comes on after about 3 secconds after starting the motor. i am only getting a knock sensor and a O2 sensor code. thoes should not throw the check engine light.....

also the oil light does not come on when the key is in the "on" position. when i start the car it stays on.... I am getting oil pressure.. i am thinking the oil pressuse sending unit is broken...

i have also relocated my battery in the trunk. I have a high quality 4 gauge wire going from the positive on the batery directly to the wire under the hood. the ground on the battery and the ground under the hood are bolted down the the front and rear strut tower. i am getting a battery light. my battery is charging just fine. i have driven it for about 3 weeks and it still holds a constant charge of about 13.5 V...

Any suggestions....?
As far as I know the Knock sensor and 02 sensor are a definate hard code. Not only will it throw a Check Engine Light, It will throw your car in limp mode.

As far as the OIL LIGHT I am assuming you used a motor from a Ford Probe. There is a big difference between a Ford Probe OIL pressure sending unit and a MX-6 OIL pressure switch. The Probe unit is made to measure the oil pressure, and register it on the dash OIL pressure guage. The MX-6/MX-3 motors use an OIL pressure SWITCH, and will illuminate an oil light on the dash when the oil pressure drops below a certain Psi.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
yontzie

Post by yontzie »

Thank you so much i am 99% sure that is my oil light issue. ill change out that sensor...

and for the 2 codes.... when i was running my k8 it always had a knock sensor code yet no light was thrown ever. would the O2 sensor be throwing the light....?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I know for a fact the 02 sensor throws a light. Never had a problem with a bad Knock Sensor
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

This is what happens when a Knock Sensor code is present:

When Code 5 is present, the PCME is unable to know if knock is occuring. in the interest of engine longevity, an alternate main timing table is referenced that uses highly-reduced advance under high-load (low RPM/high airflow) conditions. The result is a moderate reduction in output power and a not-so-fun-car-to-drive.
yontzie

Post by yontzie »

Thank you everyone for your help i will hopefully replace thoes sensors today. ill let you know how it goes.
:D
yontzie

Post by yontzie »

I replaced the oil sending unit thing... and it works great. thank you alot!.
now to tackle the O2 sensor, knock sensor and the battery issue :D :P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”