gas mileage!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: gas mileage!

Post by umcamara »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:I just don't let it sit near empty overnight because too much condensation happens when it's empty, but there have been days where I've driven till it was at E with the light on so that's how I know. Don't forget a full tank makes a big weight difference, you'd have better fuel economy when it's not full.
You're theory is correct, but I don't think the difference in mass will make much difference at all. Not sure what the density of gasoline is, but I think it's less than that of water, which is about 1 kg/0.001 cubic meters = 1 kg/ Liter.

So full tank is about 50 kg assuming water, but I think density of gasoline is about 750 g/Liter, so about 38 kg.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Depending on the heat of the fuel, 1 Gallon of fuel equals approximately 6 pounds. The tank is 11.3 gallons if i remember correctly, so you're looking at about 67 pounds from completely full to bone dry.
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Braver

Post by Braver »

kay so being the idiot that i am, the gauge was on empty so i figured id drive it about 40 kms on the highway to a friends house without a fillup, as i got close to my exit, i could swear that the last 2 curves on the highway i couldn't accelerate because maybe there wasn't as much fuel coming into the engine, am i right or just stupid? cuz if there was no fuel coming in the car should just shut off right? anyway, when i got off the highway i put in 47 L, meaning only 3 L was left when i pulled into it.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Strange...

When I was draining the 40L out of my wrecked RS, I noticed that the gas came strong from the pump (I used to pump to empty the tank) for the first 4/5 of the tank, and after that it ran much slower, at a different flow rate. I don not understand why it doesn't run the same strength untill it starts sucking air. Its like the perssure goes down with thel level. Is the intake neck tall?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Braver wrote:kay so being the idiot that i am, the gauge was on empty so i figured id drive it about 40 kms on the highway to a friends house without a fillup, as i got close to my exit, i could swear that the last 2 curves on the highway i couldn't accelerate because maybe there wasn't as much fuel coming into the engine, am i right or just stupid? cuz if there was no fuel coming in the car should just shut off right? anyway, when i got off the highway i put in 47 L, meaning only 3 L was left when i pulled into it.
I've pulled fast turns going down the on-ramps to highways with 1/4 tank of gas and it would drop down to empty, I'm guessing this happens because the fuel splashes around and for a moment the floater is in a low position. Also just cause fuel isn't being delivered doesn't mean the car will die. If you're at 4k RPM and you let go off the gas there will be NO FUEL delivery at all until 1250 IIRC, see how long it takes the car to slow down to that engine speed.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Braver

Post by Braver »

did it again coming home from work
was driving straight this time, then the car stopped accelerating went down to about 80 km/hr and then the accelerator worked again,
Braver

Post by Braver »

it had been on empty for a while but when i filled up it only took 45 L
Braver

Post by Braver »

btw,
just filled up the car to full and hit a curb and the engine runs fine but the wheels won't turn
fml
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I noticed the first week I had my car that the fuel guage was amazingly innaccurate... I thought my tank was almost completely empty when the red light came on, so I drove very carefully to a gas station as soon as it came on. I had already checked the manual which states that the tank is a little over 13 gallons.
I had the red light on and was only able to put in about 9 gallons of gas... meaning I had 4 left when I pulled into the station.

After that I was a little more careless with my fuel consumption, in an effort to check the exact amount of fuel my tank could hold, in the unlikely event that it was different from the standard.

I carried a 1/2 gallon of gas in my trunk while I drove around intending to run out of gas as fast as I could. When my engine finally died I put in the 1/2 gallon and drove to a gas station.

I put in a little under 13 gallons, surprise surprise. The red light had been on for more than an hour of driving(with careless driving).
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

MrMazda92 wrote:I noticed the first week I had my car that the fuel guage was amazingly innaccurate... I thought my tank was almost completely empty when the red light came on, so I drove very carefully to a gas station as soon as it came on. I had already checked the manual which states that the tank is a little over 13 gallons.
I had the red light on and was only able to put in about 9 gallons of gas... meaning I had 4 left when I pulled into the station.

After that I was a little more careless with my fuel consumption, in an effort to check the exact amount of fuel my tank could hold, in the unlikely event that it was different from the standard.

I carried a 1/2 gallon of gas in my trunk while I drove around intending to run out of gas as fast as I could. When my engine finally died I put in the 1/2 gallon and drove to a gas station.

I put in a little under 13 gallons, surprise surprise. The red light had been on for more than an hour of driving(with careless driving).
The point of the fuel light is to let you know that it's probably a good idea to get fuel soon. What would be the point of the light coming on when you've already run out of gas? Not quite sure why this is confusing to people...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

As soon as my fuel light stays on steadily (it will go on and off for a few miles), I know I have used 10 gallons. I've got it down, so I know I've used exactly 10 gallons. It's easy to track gas mileage this way. So for highway driving, I have about 100 miles of fuel after the light first comes on.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:I noticed the first week I had my car that the fuel guage was amazingly innaccurate... I thought my tank was almost completely empty when the red light came on, so I drove very carefully to a gas station as soon as it came on. I had already checked the manual which states that the tank is a little over 13 gallons.

The point of the fuel light is to let you know that it's probably a good idea to get fuel soon. What would be the point of the light coming on when you've already run out of gas? Not quite sure why this is confusing to people...
It's not that it's confusing, although I appreciate your thoughtful assessment of my reasoning ability. I am aware of the fuel light's purpose, and have no complaints about it. My complaint was the surprising amount of fuel left in the tank when it comes on. I have had several other cars, and they don't typically show a red light with 3+ Gallons still in the tank. That's about 100 miles if you drive somewhat carefully.
My question to you now, is who in their right mind would go 100+ miles from a gas station knowing they didn't have much gas left? Therefor I wonder, what the actual point of making it 3+ gallons would be?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
_-Night-Shade-_

Oh really? Would you rather prefer it if it came on when all 13 gallons are done and your car stalls in the middle of the road? It's specifically designed to fool idiots into thinking they're low on gas so that they don't run the car dry ...which you DID ANYWAY! I hope that satisfies your curiousity, have fun replacing the fuel filter/pump later on from all the 5hit it sucked up from the bottom of the tank.
MrMazda92 wrote:It's not that it's confusing, although I appreciate your thoughtful assessment of my reasoning ability. I am aware of the fuel light's purpose, and have no complaints about it.
Sure sounds like a complaint to me.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I love how people think less gas in the tank makes for more s--- in the filters.

The intake is at the bottom of the tank anyway, why does it matter what level the rest of the gas is at? Gasoline is lighter than water, so if the s--- would sink in water, it would def. sink in gasoline, down to where the intake is....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Ryan wrote:I love how people think less gas in the tank makes for more s--- in the filters.

The intake is at the bottom of the tank anyway, why does it matter what level the rest of the gas is at? Gasoline is lighter than water, so if the s--- would sink in water, it would def. sink in gasoline, down to where the intake is....
This is a known fact, a bunch of things cause this. You think gas from the pumps is perfectly clean? I don't think they ever clean out their tanks. Also your gas tank corrodes with time from condensation that builds up on the inside of the tank (which is why it's a good idea to always keep it full, especially overnight). If you don't believe me just look inside your tank sometime.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”