gas mileage!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Braver
antispam: No

gas mileage!

Post by Braver »

okay so heres my problem, i specifically went for a 4 cyl mx-3 to save more on gas and it gets pretty much the same amount as my now extinct 2001 tiburon! (please don't hate on the tiburon, loved it to death, sister got hit by a cabbie when she was driving, and yes that car was very fast for a first car) anyway, as the mx-3 is a 1.6 L w/ around 100 hp and the tiburon is a 2.0 L w/ 140 hp, i'd assume the mx3 got better mileage.
I even checked the mpg comparison site of the government and the mx3 is supposed to at least go 500 km/ tank, im barely hitting 400 and i do a lot of highway driving. Just curious what everyone else is getting for mileage...
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: gas mileage!

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I get around 500km a tank on my 1.8 V6 and the 4cyl is supposed to be better. Sounds like it's not running at its best.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

I have a 92 4cyl, and usually get ~350 city, ~500 highway per tank, but im pretty sure my fuel gauge is lying to me cuz even when the fuel light comes on and i fill it to the rim, it only takes about 30 litres, and the tank is supposed to be 50

At any rate, i usually get between 30 and 40 MPG. :shrug:
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Braver

Post by Braver »

i thought the tank was 40L? Hell i just got the car I've never had the gas light come on, where is it on the dashboard? relative to the engine light since thats on lol
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Its right under the quantity indication. There's no writing or pictures or anything, its just a single round orange light. And I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 50L, but i'll go check...

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Yup, my shop manual and the online manuals both say 50L. My gauge lies regardless... if i turn to the right, it shows less gas. if i turn left, it shows more.

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I get 230 miles before my gas light turns on
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

The tank IS 50L but the needle will be at the low point with the light on much sooner, like around 40L. If you were to continue driving you'd be surprised how far you'd get.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:The tank IS 50L but the needle will be at the low point with the light on much sooner, like around 40L. If you were to continue driving you'd be surprised how far you'd get.
Yea the light comes on way too early, I've driven a whole day with the light on, and my gas gauge used to be broken so I had to go by the light for almost 3 months and I've had no problems.

And I get around 8.5 L/100km on premium with my ZE, assuming that the needle being in the middle of the gas gauge means that I used 20L. I'm sure I can do better though, I wasn't exactly driving economically last time I calculated it.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
_-Night-Shade-_

Mad Cow wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:The tank IS 50L but the needle will be at the low point with the light on much sooner, like around 40L. If you were to continue driving you'd be surprised how far you'd get.
Yea the light comes on way too early, I've driven a whole day with the light on, and my gas gauge used to be broken so I had to go by the light for almost 3 months and I've had no problems.

And I get around 8.5 L/100km on premium with my ZE, assuming that the needle being in the middle of the gas gauge means that I used 20L. I'm sure I can do better though, I wasn't exactly driving economically last time I calculated it.
If the gas tank was a perfect, even shape then yes. But it's not. When the needle is at 3/4 I've already gone about 200km. But then the rest of the 3/4 takes place over the next 300km.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:

If the gas tank was a perfect, even shape then yes. But it's not. When the needle is at 3/4 I've already gone about 200km. But then the rest of the 3/4 takes place over the next 300km.
Damn, well in that case I won't be able to calculate fuel economy because that was the only time it's had a full tank in my possession. :lol:
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Braver

Post by Braver »

ur totally right about the gauge saying only 1/4 tank is left after 200, hmm so i guess I'll try to go until the light comes on? In a previous quote it said the low fuel light is under the quantity indicator, whats the "quantity indicator"?
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

the fuel gauge. its just a single orange light.

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Why are you guys talking about how much you get per tank. None of you I would hope aren't driving it until it chokes and dies. That won't give you the best gas mileage estimate. Why aren't you guys filling it up to max then reset ur trip. Find out how many km/miles you've driven at ur next fill up see how much fuel you filled up and voila you're gas mileage. Then you can just multiply.

The fuel guage for the mx-3 is garbage. It says i'm on E and i usually have a good 10 liters left.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
_-Night-Shade-_

I just don't let it sit near empty overnight because too much condensation happens when it's empty, but there have been days where I've driven till it was at E with the light on so that's how I know. Don't forget a full tank makes a big weight difference, you'd have better fuel economy when it's not full.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”