1.8 V6 - Engine Tuning

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Re: 1.8 V6 - Engine Tuning

Post by RX8SE3P »

the_kid wrote:RX8SE3P did you acctually put the chip from ebay on your car?Or do you really have a mazda mx3 v6?i dont understand you bro!Go buy the ebay stuffs if you think they will have the same results like i do!I really dont understand whats here,i think you guys are a bit jealous or something ... thats sad:(
No way, I would never bother with those fake chips. I thought you had put one in your car originally and got this much HP gain from it. That's why we were making fun. Not jealous at all, I have a rebuilt ZE coming soon :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
the_kid
antispam: No

Post by the_kid »

Hi guys,i was wondering if anyone does have any ideea if the INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP FROM 2.5 V6 FORD PROBE FITS ON MY 1.8 V6?!
I need to know this for sure ... thanks
Attention ...
I have a japanesse car and i dont hesitate to use it
V6 baby :P
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

seriously you should look into getting a KLDE or KLZE to put in your mx-3 - it's a WORLD of difference over what you are drivng now! It's a straight swap... Combined with the piggyback Unichip thing you could have some impressive numbers!
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

Mooneggs wrote:seriously you should look into getting a KLDE or KLZE to put in your mx-3 - it's a WORLD of difference over what you are drivng now! It's a straight swap... Combined with the piggyback Unichip thing you could have some impressive numbers!
I know your right bro,but i bet you havent read all what i wrote from the first posts;) Every week i am racing my car,in my country at LEGAL RACINGS we have some strict rules,if i swap the engine or add a turbo i`ll get my a-- kicked with 200hp++ on FWD,next to me will be cars with more than 250hp+!Anyway,i said i want to get as much as i can from this engine!Now its too late to swap the engine coz i already put some $ in actual
So,does anyone knows something about swapping the injectors and fuel pump from 2.5 V6 Ford Probe to my 1.8 V6 ?!
Attention ...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

the_kid wrote:So,does anyone knows something about swapping the injectors and fuel pump from 2.5 V6 Ford Probe to my 1.8 V6 ?!
Technically they're just plug and play (fuel pump isn't necessary), but putting in larger injectors in a K8 would just flood the engine and cause a massive loss of power. More fuel does not equal more power.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
the_kid wrote:So,does anyone knows something about swapping the injectors and fuel pump from 2.5 V6 Ford Probe to my 1.8 V6 ?!
Technically they're just plug and play (fuel pump isn't necessary), but putting in larger injectors in a K8 would just flood the engine and cause a massive loss of power. More fuel does not equal more power.
I wan to try this,thats why i`m asking you guys!I think if i put injectors and fuel pump from 2.5 V6 Ford Probe,i`ll get some extra hp from these,but of course after i change the unichip!I think its possbile,i have to try it,but first of all i need to know for sure if they all fit in my engine :?
In Romania are not so popular these cars,and no tuning for them .. so i think i`m one of the crazy guys in this country :shock:

P.S.: Does anyone has AUTODATA?Maybe there i`ll find the answer im looking for .. :?
Attention ...
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

the_kid wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
I wan to try this,thats why i`m asking you guys!I think if i put injectors and fuel pump from 2.5 V6 Ford Probe,i`ll get some extra hp from these,but of course after i change the unichip!I think its possbile,i have to try it,but first of all i need to know for sure if they all fit in my engine :?
They should fit... BUT, what you need to do is read up on air-to-fuel ratios. Have you ever flooded an engine? When there's too much fuel, you lose power, or your engine won't run at all. If you're looking to add more HP by modding your a/f ratio, you have run a leaner mixture. BEWARE, because running a leaner mixture will bring you closer to detonation.

My .02, don't waste your $$$ on bigger injectors or a bigger fuel pump unless you need it (by running Nitrous or Turbo, which you're not doing). Forced induction needs more fuel to keep from leaning out. If your stock, the OEM ECU already has a balanced a/f ratio, which might be able to be re-mapped to run leaner, but again, you'd be treading on dangerous grounds (detonation) if you don't have the proper tune. Don't shove more fuel into your engine unless it needs it, otherwise it'll just cough it out the exhaust (run really rich). It's like giving a fat kid more doughnuts; they don't need it but your giving it to them anyways.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

the_kid wrote:I know you guys in States you just change the engine for more power,as i said,i invite you here to see how much money and work we do for our cars!
Respect
Well, it's about working smarter, not harder. For example, I just spent 500 and increased about 40hp, with more to come after I do my exhaust and possibly run nitrous. Plus, you said you won't run turbo cuz you'll get your a** kicked but you'll run nitrous and that'll be ok? I'm confused....
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

If i put Nitro i`ll just "hide" it:P .. Ok,so you guys think that is not a good ideea to swap the injectors,then give me some ideea to increase the power to the actual engine,without swapping the engine or adding a turbo kit(also i may change my minds to put turbo on my engine,but not really sure for the moment)
So,I am waiting for new ideas! Any idea will be welcome
Attention ...
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

-Individual throttle bodies and all that goes with it
-KLZE intake manifold with ported heads or at least shape pheno gaskets for the transition
-Electronically controlled exhaust cutout
-aggressive cams
-port and polish heads
-knife edge intakes, butterfly throttle body
-fidanza/aasco flywheel
-poly bushes and uprated suspension/coilovers to help put all the power down
-megasquirt or similar

OR put a klde/klze in and don't tell them... it's probably easier to hide that than nitrous oxide
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

marcdh wrote:-Individual throttle bodies and all that goes with it
-KLZE intake manifold with ported heads or at least shape pheno gaskets for the transition
-Electronically controlled exhaust cutout
-aggressive cams
-port and polish heads
-knife edge intakes, butterfly throttle body
-fidanza/aasco flywheel
-poly bushes and uprated suspension/coilovers to help put all the power down
-megasquirt or similar

OR put a klde/klze in and don't tell them... it's probably easier to hide that than nitrous oxide
These are some good ideas for you as they will "free up" some HP for you without major modding (with exception of the indiv. TB's and megasquirt). Basically, the amount of mods for the K8 are as deep as your pockets. You will reach a point where it comes down to specific mechanics in order to squeeze out that extra 2-3HP. Along with this list, you could try lighter pullies. Try gutting down your car to lighten it. Take out the stock fuel tank and replace it with an aluminum one (in your trunk). If you really want to get serious, there are some things you can do; you just are operating with restrictions.

The best idea, which is continuously mentioned here, is the DE/ZE swap. They are a direct drop in with few changes and they take up a similar amount of space as your K8. So long as the IM doesn't read "2.5L" on it, you'd be golden. AND, it would be much easier and cheaper to do that rather than spend the money on all the above mentioned. Money aside, I think that you could hide a DE or ZE better bc the external dimensions are virtually the same. Take a look a some people's engine bays and see what I mean. Heck, take a look in MY worklog. I just swapped the engine over and it fits exactly in the same mounting locations. I also swapped it to a 5 spd.

If you dropped in a ZE, you'd see an instant 200hp and your "oh sh**" meter would go throught the roof!! Not to mention, you'd put a lot of posers in their place.

No one is trying to say quit what you're doing, but everyone on here knows that the DE and ZE have much more potential altogether (and more HP stock than a K8).
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

Thanks a lot my friends,but as i said now its too late to swap the engine,also the one with 200hp i will never find it here in Romania,except the one from Ford Probe!But its too late coz i already invested some cash in this engine,so if i already did it,i want to be the only one here with this engine and more hp than usual!
I will try sport camshaft .. does anyone has a link where to look?
Thanks again for all
Attention ...
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

the motor from the ford probe will fit in your mx-3...same with the motor from a mx-6...both those cars run the 2.5L klDE..167?hp stock i do beleive.....im interested to know what kind of cars you would be up against if you were to do the swap and got bumped up a class?
ImageImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you put higher compression pistons in the K8 and inreased the compression ratio to over 10:1 you would see a rise in power but it would have to be perfectly tuned to avoid detonation. There is also a company in the US called Paeco Industries that will build a custom stroker crankshaft for you...but now you're into the big money.

You could pull the engine and do a true blueprint with a nice 10:1 piston (those would be custom). Flow the heads, the intake manifold and the throttle body. Tune the engine very carefully with your chip there and you could probably build a K8 that puts 135hp on the ground on high octane fuel for about $4000USD.

Or you could take the engine out of a Probe and drop it in and make 140hp for $800. The bottom line is that the K8 is not built to make big power. In the grand scheme of the car world none of the K family of engines are very strong without a lot of money invested. Even a normally asperated ZE would have a hard time hitting 200whp.

There was a guy on the board until a few months ago who turbo'd his K8 and ran it till it exploded. He said he was making about 300whp so he must have been boosting close to 20psi and he did it for under $1500. A 9psi boosted K8 should do 170whp no problem and still be reliable, but it all depends on the tune. That is the only way you're going to make a large increase in horsepower if you ask me.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Wow 300whp on a K8 :o
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”