removing resonator?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
atomic froster

removing resonator?

Post by atomic froster »

hey guys, ive got a klze with stock pipes, i love the sound, just want a little more... what do u think of removing the resonator? anyone done this?
ninja_man
antispam: No

Re: removing resonator?

Post by ninja_man »

after i get my klde running im going to have stright pipes and the only thing on there will be my muffle at the back. it will make it flow better
93 mx-3 with a klde swap. still working on
94 cobra svt. mostly stock.
08 ninja. 1 wheel fun. lol
atomic froster

Post by atomic froster »

yea i think i should do it, ive found a shop that will do it for 50 bux and have it back by dinner tonite
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Wytbishop: It'll be ridiculously loud.

Ninja Man: WHAT?!?!

Wytbishop: I SAID...IT WILL BE REALLY LOUD!!! PEOPLE WILL THINK YOU ARE FOOLISH AND POINT AND LAUGH AT YOU.

I'm just kidding around guys...but seriously, it will sound silly. It'll be so loud that no girl will ever want to ride in your car. My car is only slightly loud and my wife hates it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

ya. im trying to think if i want to go with 2" pipe or 2 1/4" your lucky to cuz no shops around here will take cats or resonators off
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

Wytbishop i use to have hondas and i like it loud lol. but it will be louder if you do remove it. im not going to have anything on mine but a muffle. i mean i got a mustang and a bike for the ladies 2 lol
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

ninja_man wrote:... i got a mustang ...
so you're already used to the pointing and lauging then...you'll be fine.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ninja_man

Post by ninja_man »

lol. well the girls kinda like the moo stang. and idk y. i thought i were going to say i should be use to it from driving a honda lol
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

You know, strange thing is, on my first MX-3 GS I got an aftermarket muffler from DC sports, changed the pipeing from the cat back to 2 1/4" but kept the resonator. It sounded awesome, Deep and mean and just loud enough to be cool but not annoying.

Now I have a KLZE with headers, got a hi flow performance Cat. again got 2 1/4 pipes and though I asked the shop to keep the resonator, they forgot and removed it. I have the same DC muffler, and it's not much louder but the tone is different. It's worse actually. It sounds raspier, and not as deep. Kinda sad. Dont get me wrong, I think it still sounds better than a 4 cyl. Honda with a fart can, but I'm a bit disapointed. Dont know if its all because of the missing resonator or not, but I'd consider keeping the resonator if you want a good sounding exhaust. Of course I've never dyno'd the car, maybe it's got a bit more power without the resonator.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Here's what mine sounds like: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... sound+clip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My girlfriend doesn't like it, but I'm not done soundproofing. I like it, and have a good sound system. I think it'll be fine when I'm done soundproofing.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think you should run 3 inch straight pipe, and resonate it with a turbo.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
s1zzl3

Post by s1zzl3 »

i have a BP with a magnaflow muffler but i had a long resonator put in
now i hear the engine more then the exhaust.. still has that deep sound but still not as deep as fowljesse'
sounds good i like it btw :)
i hear the older the muffler the louder they get.. just because they are a bit more worn.
i would deff get rid of the resonator. It wont be as loud if you keep the stock muffler, at least not loud enough to be considered annoying.
on the other hand, fart cannon + straight pipe = pointing and laughter + a few tickets
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
atomic froster

Post by atomic froster »

lol no turbos in my future. do u guys really think it will be that loud with the stock muffler and cat still intact.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

it's not just about how loud it is, it's about how it sounds as well. i can tell you from personal experience, it's going to sound like a lawnmower. that's not the kinda loud you want. presumably... :roll:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Leave the resonator and remove the Cat...My SE was like that when I got it and it sounded really good. Now with the ZE i have 2.25" piping, a 14" resonator and no Cat to a Magnaflow high flow dual outlet muffler. It's too loud for my taste...but it sounds good.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”