Internal upgrades? (BP guys!)

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Dark_Rider2k3

Internal upgrades? (BP guys!)

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Okay BP guys! Just curious of what you've done to the internals of your BP's before you boosted?

I am looking at getting new rods now that I have the engine pretty much apart (it's first going in for a good port/polish), but curious if there are any other "weak" spots that should be of concern. This isn't going to be a "holy crap 30psi boost woah dude" kinda car.. just something fun.. more like 8-12 psi of boost.

Thanks guys!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Re: Internal upgrades? (BP guys!)

Post by hotsiit »

A BP should be able to handle 8-12 psi no problem with stock internals.
I have not done any internal work on my BP motor going into my car, but what I would like to do in the future (very far off most likely :( ) would be to use the Flyin Miata stroker kit combined with a Corksport turbo head package and then a BIG turbocharger. :twisted:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Yeah, honestly the stock BP is good up to around 300 DD, as long as you aren't just redlining it all the time. I have been pushing mine with around 15psi DD off a VF10 hybrid for 2 years, not I just upgraded and it is still running strong!
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I must agree with the other guys here, the BP engine is a very strong engine in stock form and is well suited for boost. Since you indicated you already have the engine apart, if money isnt an issue I would at least go for some SCAT/ETD forged rods and forged pistons so you have a bulletproof bottom end.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Collier

Post by Collier »

(Miata guy)
If you want a bomb proof bottom-end, get the wiseco 9:1 cr pistons and eagle rods. Then the limiting factor is the transmission, not the block.

http://www.jscspeed.com/miata_nanb/engine/rods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Source the wiseco pistons from Flyin'Miata, they added some little things to them to make them better.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Collier wrote:(Miata guy)
If you want a bomb proof bottom-end, get the wiseco 9:1 cr pistons and eagle rods. Then the limiting factor is the transmission, not the block.

http://www.jscspeed.com/miata_nanb/engine/rods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Source the wiseco pistons from Flyin'Miata, they added some little things to them to make them better.
thats why one should combine it with a Kia trans and MS protege LSD. Bigger axels.

B6T or BP rods will do just fine if you can get your hands on a cheep set. 400 bucks is way better than 800 or 1200. Im running carrillo H beams. I would definatly go with 9:1 comp good for about 10 to 15 WHP increase over the turbo pistions at like 7.8:1 comp or something like that. mine are 8.4:1. you could alwayse use stock rods with some nice forged pistions. stock rods will hold up to like 28 PSI with no issues.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

LOL @ Josh....I've been there n broke that as well, exploded the clutch pack even!

Stock B-series rods are good to 300-350 HP with decent longevity...even reving to 8000 rpm! So are the stock cast pistons if properly tuned! :wink:

Boost PSI means little, when properly intercooled (this is a BIG hint). What matters is the power your looking to make and how long you want the motor to take it at what RPM peak.

9:1-9.5:1 compression is very safe....even at 26psi from a GT3076R on pump gas if tuned correctly....If I have to replace my pistons when I refresh my motor I'll go at least 10:1 compression to help with off boost power.

I personally love my Wiseco Pistons and prefer the Pauter Rod design over all others (Pauter's design is stong AND more areodynamic).

Coatings are cheap insurance on the pistons if you don't have to replace them. Last but not least....all these goodies do you NO good if your clearances are not set correctly, oil system matched, and even then detination can still break them!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”